Ilkley Moor Alien Photo (Yorkshire; December 1987)

Discussion in 'Ufology' started by MrRING, Aug 10, 2002.

1. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

Was he on the bus FROM Hebden Bridge?

2. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
    Definitely NOT the same PC Alan Godfrey who saw a large UFO hovering over the street one night.

3. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

Would of course also explain why his compass pointed south if he walked to East Morton.

4. INT21

INT21 Justified & Ancient

PeteS,

..Would of course also explain why his compass pointed south if he walked to East Morton...

Not quite sure what you mean.

A compass always points to the magnetic North. Are you suggesting that Magnetic North on this occasion was not where it usually is. I.e Fairly close to True North (Polaris).

INT21

5. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

Yes sorry - I wasn't clear. He would be walking south if he was heading to East Morton. I wonder if in fact that is what he meant - ie that his compass showed he was walking south when he thought he was walking north.

6. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified & Ancient

Would anyone tec-savvy and with the time or inclination post a map please? Showing where this spot is and anything else (roads etc.) of note in that area?

7. INT21

Coastaljames.

May be better if you either Google 'Ilkley, west yorkshire' There will probably be a site listed that has a searchable map. Or go into Google Earth and enter the same.

Her is a map that you can use.

https://www.walkingenglishman.com/westyorkshire09.html

INT21

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 8:53 PM
  8. Schrodinger's Zebra

Schrodinger's Zebra Endearingly bedraggled in the wind

I think someone may have already asked, but do we know which exact path the photograph was taken on?

I too have always been quite fascinated with this photograph.

9. Schrodinger's Zebra

Schrodinger's Zebra Endearingly bedraggled in the wind

10. INT21

So, Zebra, what conclusion did you come to ?

The story, as told, tells you nothing.

It didn't say where this @spencer' started out from.

It didn't give the name of the destination.

It doesn't say which town he got the film developed at.

It didn't tell you what route he took.

It did tell you it was 7 AM when he set off. So it was Dark.

As long as he had a torch (no mention) he would have had no trouble even in the dark as, until he reached the top he would have been able to see the urban conurbations in the distance. Particularly Bradford and Leeds. Also Keighley once he had crossed the top area (it is sort of like a depression) IF he was heading towards East Morton.
    But on a dark foggy morning in December he would not have been able to see where he was walking.

The part about him carrying a compass means nothing. A compass is only any use if you also have a map.
    No mention of a map. Also you would need to be able to see landmarks. Not easy in the dark.
    When you are on the top of the moors, you can't see anything to sight on. Particularly in the dark.

It all sounds very unlikely to me.

INT21

EnolaGaia likes this.
  11. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

If you go to Google maps satellite view of Ilkley moor and click on 3d you will see the problem. The moor is crossed with paths and I think it would take an expert on the moor to identify where the photo was taken from. Personally I don't think that the alien is standing on a path- more like a natural erosion track which is a feature of the moor. An area of this type can be found between Silver Well and Crawshaw Spring on the moor but needle and haystack spring to mind. I'm sure somewhere there is a feature on Google where you can view topography (alien is stood in a depression) but I don't know how to access this.

12. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

Certainly the head, long arms, clawed feet and even (at a pinch) the object it is carrying look very similar to the commercial ET model. ET's legs were much shorter though.

PSX_20180917_102702.jpg

13. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Does anyone know if there are other pics of this....I thought he was using a video camera and these were stills from that or did he only take pics?

14. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ... Staff Member

It was a still camera, and he took a single still photo of the figure observed on the moor.

15. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Thanks......one wonders why he didn't keep taking pics until the thing ran away...?

16. EnolaGaia

Good question ... I've never seen any account that mentions whether there were any other shots on the film, much less what they depicted. By the same token, I've never seen an account that claims the 'alien' photo was the only one he took on that film roll.

17. EnolaGaia

I don't know whether this is helpful or not ...

At least one person found the spot where Spencer's photo was taken.

tomlinson.jpg
    SOURCE: http://www.ghosttheory.com/2015/03/13/the-1987-ilkley-moor-alien-photograph

The only clue I have regarding this Arthur Tomlinson is that it was at his home that Spencer underwent a regressive hypnosis session.

SOURCE: https://www.ufocasebook.com/ilkleymoor2.html

I don't know whether the Tomlinson snapshot above was taken the same day as the hypnosis session.

18. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

Interesting. One assumes that Spencer pointed out the spot to Tomlinson, otherwise I can't see it could have been identified.
    I also note that Spencer refers to a town hall clock which, taken on face value would rule out East Morton. The time difference of the clock could be a red herring- all these clocks were 100+ years old and I can't remember seeing one in the area which ever consistently showed the correct time. Could of course be a mis reference though.
    What I thought from the beginning though was that the alien looked much bigger than 4 foot tall - the photo of Tomlinson gives a perspective.
    Other discrepancies in the story as well eg the reason for his trip over the moor, visiting his family or exploring Ilkley? Alien waving goodbye to him after his abduction or warning him away when there was no mention of an abduction. Agree it might all be down to misreporting but there are just too many holes in the story for me to be convinced, although I'd like to be!

19. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Ok...for the sake of discussion let's assume it was some kind of 'hoax'.....then what did the image represent?
    A child in costume...a very small man...a dummy of some sort..?

20. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

I'm not sure that the alien was that small if you look at the image of Tomlinson taken from the same perspective and compare the two. But size notwithstanding, my thoughts are a dummy cardboard cutout or similar. I still wonder why anyone in their right mind would consider wandering about the moor so early in the morning in December. So dark in fact that you had to take a torch but light enough to be able a photo at a fairly long distance. Doesn't add up to me.

21. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

So then the man who took the pic set the whole thing up...?

22. EnolaGaia

Good question ... My initial, and primary ongoing, impression was that it wasn't a humanoid figure, nor even a decent simulacrum of a humanoid figure.

I thought it looked like someone had erected a piece of driftwood - e.g., the stump of a small tree or substantial bush with roots attached. Given the trough-like contour of the path, I also wondered whether it was a stump below which the surrounding soil had eroded away.

I even wondered if it could be a total simulacrum involving stone(s) and / or vegetation at that particular spot viewed from that particular angle, but the Tomlinson photo 10 months afterward seems to rule that out.

23. EnolaGaia

The standard storyline includes some odd bits that contribute to - but don't clearly validate - such suspicions, such as:

- leaving home at dawn on a foggy morning just to catch some snapshots of weird lighting effects on the moor
    - not taking more than the one photo of a purportedly extraordinary scene
    - never mentioning whether any other photos were taken on that hike

One must also note that 'Philip Spencer' was claimed to be a pseudonym from the very start.