Ice Age: New Findings & Theories

Discussion in 'Earth Mysteries: Historical & Classical Cases' started by ramonmercado, May 3, 2006.

1. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Edit to amend title.

2. PeniG

PeniG Justified & Ancient

http://users.idworld.net/griffin/0writing.htm
    Okay, as stupid and misleading headlines go, that one's more annoying than amusing. And I'm afraid the reportage is of the sort that gives people an entirely wrong impression of the field.

Since we don't know when humans arrived in North America; since we don't understand the mechanisms of mass extinction; and since we don't have more than the vaguest notion of the timing of the late Pleistocene megafaunal extinctions - of course we can't rule humans out as a factor. But we can't exactly find ourselves guilty, either!

This sort of slow, incremental work to gather the data that will eventually make hypotheses such as Overkill testable (though in its original form Overkill has already been falsified and I wish people'd get over it) isn't dramatic, but it's very important, and I wish reporters would discuss that angle instead of pretending there's a revelation hidden in here somewhere. Actually I don't suppose the reporter wrote the headline, so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on him.

Okay, rant over; now to look at the bright side.

It encourages me that someone is focusing on horses, because from the point of view of understanding megafaunal extinction they are extremely interesting. Item: Horses evolved in North America. Item: When horses were reintroduced to North America in historic times, they succeeded very well indeed, establishing a large and viable feral popularion so fast it makes your head spin. Item: At the time of megafaunal extinction, mammoths went extinct in Eurasia and horses did not. Item: At the time of megafaunal extinction, the grassland habitat which horses love so well was (so far as current data indicates) expanding at the expense of less horse-friendly habitats like forest and tundra. Item: As megafauna go, horses are more comparable to more species than charismatic mondomegafauna like the mammoth and the ground sloth.

Put it all together and, if we can figure out what happened to horses, we've got a good chance of figuring out what happened to the others, too. Camelids are another interesting species - they went extinct only in North America, and an attempted historic reintroduction did not pan out.

3. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

i guess i could have changed the headline, but it was NGs. they usually are more careful about these things. an interesting article and certainly food for thought (puts on nosebag).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

V. interesting. PeniG's reply took most of my rant...so, if you'll excuse me...me too (lazy)...hmm, perhaps other megafauna were lazy...damn, written my own extinction obit :lol:

5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

6. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

7. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

8. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

Oldest needle found in cave is 50,000 years old

Can this be right or is it a misprint? There's a few others in the Mirror article.

Coal, ramonmercado and Ermintruder like this.
  9. kamalktk

kamalktk Justified & Ancient

"New evidence suggests human presence in a Yukon cave during the last ice age 24,000 years ago."

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/artic...ans-north-america-10000-years-earlier-thought

more at link above
    ---------------------------
    The bones came from excavations led by archaeologist Jacques Cinq-Mars between 1977 and 1987 and have been in storage at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Quebec. At the time, Cinq-Mars and his team concluded that the Bluefish Caves showed evidence of occasional human use as much as 30,000 years ago. That is so much older than anything else found in the Americas that Cinq-Mars’s conclusions were widely disputed, and the three small caves were largely left out of discussions about the peopling of the Americas.

The idea of researching such a controversial site appealed to Bourgeon: “Alaska, Yukon, bone accumulations, caves, the first peopling. … That was it. That was the Spell of the Yukon!” she said by email.

Bourgeon sent six pieces of bone that showed evidence of stone-tool cuts to a lab in Oxford, England, for radiocarbon dating. The youngest, it turned out, was a 12,000-year-old caribou bone. The most ancient: the 24,000-year-old horse jaw bone.

The finding—published in the journal PLOS One—makes the Bluefish Caves the oldest known archaeological site in North America by a margin of almost 10,000 years—and confirms much of Cinq-Mars’s work.

Previously, the oldest accepted human occupations were at three sites in Alaska and one just over the border in Yukon, all dating to about 14,000 years ago.

10. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

The Ice Age‏@Jamie_Woodward_
    Burial of a boy and girl at Sungir, Russia ~27,000 years ago. Together, these burials contained over 10,000 ivory beads. Modern experiments suggest each bead took about 40 minutes to make – a quite staggering investment #IceAgeDeath Illustration by Libor Balák #Russia

[​IMG]
    7:17 PM - 12 Jan 2018

Jim, Coal and Mythopoeika like this.
  11. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

A tiny, mischievous part of me would love the archaeologists to find human bones of obviously African origin that were contemporaneous with the worked bones. I'd just love to see all of the noisy, militant First Nations/Original People activists reduced to embarrassed toe-scuffling, tuneless whistling and "Look over there! A bunny!"-ing.

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

12. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Frozen Foal.

This is the first picture of an ancient foal dug out of the permafrost in the Batagai depression - also known as the ‘Mouth of Hell’ - in the Yakutia region of Siberia.

Head of the world famous Mammoth Museum in Yakutsk, Semyon Grigoryev, said: ‘The foal was approximately three months old (when it died).

‘The unique find was made in the permafrost of Batagai depression. The foal was completely preserved by permafrost.

‘The extra value of the unique find is that we obtained samples of soil layers where it was preserved, which means we will be able to restore a picture of the foal’s environment.’

[​IMG]

The Ice Age foal lived up to 40,000 years ago, it is understood.

It was buried at a level of around 30 metres in the tadpole-shaped depression, which is a ‘megaslump’ one kilometre long and around 800 metres wide.

‘We will report the exact time when it lived after studying the soil samples,’ said the scientist.

‘The foal has completely preserved dark-brown hair, its tail and mane, as well as all internal organs.

‘There are no visible wounds on its body.

‘This is the first find in the world find of a pre-historic horse of such a young age and with such an amazing level of preservation.’

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/the-foal-that-came-in-from-the-cold-after-40000-years/

Jim, EnolaGaia and PeteByrdie like this.
  13. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

Ice age wolf cub & caribou dug up in Yukon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coal, ramonmercado and EnolaGaia like this.