Horror Films

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by ramonmercado, Jun 1, 2015.

1. skinny

skinny ____Noble Gas___

Agree with everything there. Enjoyable. Worth the time.
    3.5/5

Got two recommendeds lined up for later tonight. First is Shyamalan's Split - hopeful. Then I'll be attempting The Devil's Candy - not hopeful.

2. onetwothree

onetwothree Devoted Cultist

I can't use this as a search term, but my boyfriend watched 'As Above, So Below' last night and came to bed completely freaked out. It's now on my list.

3. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

It'll put you off tunnels. Pretty good horror.

4. onetwothree

I'm not that keen on tunnels or caves in the first place. :chick: :horr: What was that one I saw about an Australian TV crew doing an expose about homeless people living in disused underground tunnels...? That was good and creepy too.

Frideswide likes this.
  5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Ghost Stories: A Horror anthology film which brings to mind the great Hammer compendium films of the 1970s. The connecting link to the three stories of strange phenomena is Professor Goodman (Andy Nyman who also co-directs and writes the script with Jeremy Dyson). Goodman comes from a religious background where his fundamentalist father broke up the family. Now an arch-sceptic on TV he debunks and exposes fake psychics.

His original inspiration was Charles Cameron (Leonard Byrne) who busted clairvoyant chancers on TV in earlier years but who has now disappeared. Goodman is summoned to a seaside caravan and is greeted by a sickly Cameron who challenges the Prof to prove that three cases actually have a rational explanation. Cameron whose catch phrase was Things are not always as they seem desperately wants these cases to be debunked.

Goodman meets a bitter, lonely nightwatchman (Paul Whitehouse) who may have encountered a ghost at a derelict asylum, an obsessive student (Adrian Lawther) who believes he knocked down a weregoat (Satan in goat guise?) and a smug stockbroker (Martin Freeman) who is being assailed by a poltergeist. He struggles to find logical causes for these events, but explaining something away is not the same as explaining it.

We encounter shop dummies which move, little girls appearing, strange creatures jumping on top of cars and letting themselves in through the backdoor, apparent suicides, anoraked figures (with empty hoods?) loitering with intent, a literal sense of panic in the forest scenes. But there is a darker mystery which must also be solved. A decades old happening which haunts Goodman. Everything is not as it seems in this collection of dark tales. 8/10

6. onetwothree

Not reading that - I'm going to see it on Wednesday!

ramonmercado likes this.
  7. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

No spoilers in it! Gives away less than most reviews!

8. onetwothree

9. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
    Also look out for a copy of The Unexplained in there, plus a nod to The Enfield Poltergeist. And shots which homage The Evil Dead and Pink Floyd's The Wall movie!

Saw Blumhouse's TRUTH OR DARE earlier... it's terrible. Tries to be a new Final Destination, but is just silly, with schoolkids who are clearly pushing 30!

Also caught a preview of PYEWACKET which is going straight to DVD, but was much better. A young Goth/Metalhead girl makes a ritual to do away with her pushy mother, then regrets it (the ritual is far less complicated than the one in A DARK SONG ;) ) Worth a look.

Swifty likes this.
  10. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I'm going to see Truth Or Dare next Tuesday so I'll just grit my teeth and hope for the best. Pyewacket sounds interesting.

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  11. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Yes, Pyewacket is well worth a look, starts out as a family drama about grief then ends up really nasty, in an interesting way. Very well acted. The same (Canadian) guy did a killer bear movie that's supposed to be good too.

12. onetwothree

The Medusa Touch is on London Live this afternoon. Excellent, excellent film.

13. PeteByrdie

PeteByrdie Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide

TWITTER:
    PeteByrdie
    Enjoyed Ghost Stories this evening. Disappointing from a forteans point of view that it didn't more thoroughly explore the nature of belief and the problems of investigating the paranormal from witness accounts, which is what I was hoping for. Ultimately that's not what the film was about. It provided us with a couple of good flights though. 3.43225 out of 5

14. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

I found A Quiet Place very disappointing - too much of the same thing, very one-paced & you could see the shocks coming. I didn't like the attempt at emotional manipulation re the girl & the father either.

I couldn't figure out why they didn't just go to the nearest arms shop & stock up with the biggest fuck off guns they could get hold of - it was set in USA after all. Would've made the film much shorter. The aliens weren't too convincing either. They may be blind but once they got close to their prey they would surely have some other detection method as well - heat, smell, electromagnetism, etc. They could hear a stick snapping a mile away but couldn't hear people breathing when 6 feet away.

I wouldn't give it more than 5/10. 6 if I'm feeling generous.

15. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

More looks at the Year without a Summer with Mary Shelley! I don't know if it will be more fun that Gothic, but it should have 100% less Timothy Sprall and Julian Sands buns, so that's a positive! :cheer:

16. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    There would be no such thing as blind advanced aliens in the first place.

17. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I'm not sure if the aliens in the film were actually sentient or just predators used by more advanced masters. Their actions certainly suggest that they might be as intelligent as a wolf or cheetah but just that.

18. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Truth Or Dare: Always an interesting game but not usually as deadly as the one in this film. Five college friends and a hanger-on are spending Spring Break in Mexico. Olivia (Lucy Hale) meets Carter (Landon Liboiron) at a bar and he persuades the group to go to a derelict mission church to drink some takeaways. Ten he starts a game of Truth Or Dare but it soon becomes obvious something sinister is occuring. Carter disappears after telling Olivia that failure to tell the truth or carry out a dare will result in death and that he is trying to escape from The Game.

The friends return home but The Game is far from over. Olivia hallucinates that a crowd with distorted faces in a library are demanding that she "Truth Or Dare", she blurts out that her friend Markie (Violett Beane) is cheating on her boyfriend Tyler (Lucas Moreno). Increasingly the group are faced with telling damaging truths or carrying out dangerous. dares. The hanger-on breaks his neck after failing to carry out a dare, more truths devastate those they are told to/about. The Game continues Round after Round. A participant in a previous round sets a woman on fire with lighter fluid, the police know something strange is going on but do not comprehend the enormity of the situation.

This story type has been told before, most notably in the Final Destination series and there's nothing novel in Truth Or Dare but it does have an internal logic which many such films lack. It could have been tightened up, 90 minutes rather than its 100 minute running time might have resulted in a better film. Some good frights, interesting origin story for The Game and amusing resolution. Direction (by Jeff Wadlow). dialogue and acting is OK so I'm giving this 6.5/10.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM
  19. onetwothree

Ghost Stories was excellent. Really, really good.

David Plankton likes this.
  20. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Wasn't it?! Really retro in so far as it had the feel of the 70s anthology films. I'd like to have found out more about that Goatman.

21. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I'm seeing A Quiet Place again tomorrow night, hopefully I'll pick up some details I missed first time out.

22. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

You're a glutton for punishment.

23. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I thought it was excellent, see my review above.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  24. onetwothree

Yes! And very clever. One of those ones you need to see again. It was also good and jumpy; my friend and I hid behind cushions and a blanket (Everyman cinemas are excellently equipped!)

25. onetwothree

A question for those who have seen Ghost Stories:

Was the yellow doll in the hospital room?

26. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

I'd put it at a 4 or more. Great dialogue and follows in the British tradition of Folk horror.

ramonmercado likes this.
  27. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

My only issue was the fact that whilst we watched it in a small arthouse cinema a couple a row ahead decided to devour a large packet of crisps. They were completely oblivious that their noise killed a lot of the tension of the first 20 mins of the movie.

28. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

You should have eaten them!

I didn't get to see it again last night as my friend was ill, next week maybe.

29. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Yes.

onetwothree likes this.
  30. onetwothree