Horror Films

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by ramonmercado, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Heckler

Heckler The unspeakable mass

Also IIRC Julia has a line 'I moved because you wanted to.' that I took to assume meant she moved to the States.

2. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

They had moved back to England from the US.

3. Heckler

Heckler The unspeakable mass

So why did everyone but Julia (and her various victims) have an American accent?

4. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Dunno.

But they referred to moving back to England.

5. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I think the story was that everyone in Hellraiser originally had an English accent (apart from Kirsty maybe?) but the US backers wanted it to go down better in the States, so it was redubbed. It was certainly made in England.

6. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

Trench 11: it looks like the Thing in WW1 with trench warfare:

The Crucifixion: a new twist on modern exorcism films?

Naughty_Felid and ramonmercado like this.
  7. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

The Ritual: Four friends go go hill walking in remote Northern Sweden to remember a murdered friend. Taking a shortcut through a forest they come across a gutted deer hanging in a tree. Runes are carved into other trees. Taking shelter in a hut all four have strange nightmares. Lost they stumble through the woods literally experiencing Panic. The cinematography and forest setting helps to develop this sense of primeval fear and threat.

A mixture of tropes bringing to mind The Witch, Blair Witch, Deliverance and Kill List coalesce to form a unique Horror Film which is somewhat left down by uneven pacing. It could also have benefited with some additional Anthropological exposition which may have present in the novel by Adam Nevill (who co-wrote the screenplay). 7.5/10.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  8. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

Office

South Korean Slasher/horror. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_(2015_South_Korean_film)

Mr Kim Byeong-gook returns home from a day at the office to brutally murder his family he then disappears. As the Police try and put together what happened to this respected family man strange things begin to occur back at his work place. There's something not quite right among his colleagues and new intern Lee Mi-rye is finding the combination of murders and work particularly stressful.

The film makes a mundane corporate office environment suddenly very sinister with muted colors and bland interiors. It's reminiscent of the original The Grudge which created a similar feel for suburban Tokyo or Let the Right One In did for a Stockholm housing estate.

Pretty good - 7 out of 10

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  9. David Plankton

David Plankton Justified & Ancient

10. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Replace: modest but effective body horror with a touch of sci-fi you might not notice at first. Basically a young lady wakes up in an apartment and finds her skin is starting to crumble and needs... replacing. Stars Rebecca Forsythe, who is the great William Forsythe's daughter, and fortunately for her hasn't inherited her dad's looks. Barbara Crampton is in it too, and extra-creepy. Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised. Well, I say pleasantly...

11. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Happy Death Day: A student keeps reliving the same day which ends with her being murdered by a masked killer. At the first re-iteration of the day she is puzzled, the next time she is shocked but by the third raw panic sets in. The day rests anew each time as she wakes in the dormroom of she has crashed in. Eventually she enlists his help in an attempt to identify her murderer. Many red herrings are caught.

While this film contains many of the teen slasher tropes it transcends them with an inventive script and wonderful dark humour. 8/10.

12. MrRING

It Stains The Sands Red: A jerky lady has to survive a single zombie following her in the desert. Has some good comedy as well as some interesting dramatic moments. Not a blockbuster, but still quite good even for the overexposed zombie genre:

Naughty_Felid and ramonmercado like this.
  13. MrRING

Toby Jones makes a good maniac:

14. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

He's definitely got 'maniac face' but I'm distracted from being scared because of him also currently re playing the easy going likeable side kick in the new series of the metal detector TV comedy ..

.. like him in Emmerdale who promoted a zombie film he'd directed on breakfast TV one morning and I haven't heard anything about either of them since .. they both might be good so I'm not knocking them ..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1928123/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk2

MrRING likes this.
  15. MrRING

I'd watch it!

16. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

I should stop being lazy and find out if 'Before Dawn' was ever released .. I watched 'Dead Set', the Big Brother (UK TV reality show with a zombified Davina McCall) spin off zombie film (I think it was originally broadcast as a 4 episode TV series, I can't remember now but I saw it again later on a DVD release), that wasn't too bad, it re trod all loved Romero cliches and was memorable for me mainly because I'd never seen a zombie in a wheelchair before (was there a zombie in a wheelchair in Peter Jackson's Brain Dead?) .. I like isolation films of all genres so I might enjoy 'Before Dawn' .. the trailer sort of has a UK gritty film stock 28 Day's Later/Dog Soldiers feel to it ..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  17. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

Dead Set saw the transition of Charlie Brooker’s career from tv critic to one of the best horror/sci-fi makers we have in the UK. It could be regarded as the first Black Mirror.

18. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

I can’t remember whether I mentioned I picked up Pride and Predjudice and Zombies for £3 in Sainsburys. I chortled all the way through. The dialogue, sets, lighting and camerawork were typical of the modern Austen interpretation. I bet Emma Thompson still regrets missing an opportunity to kick ass in this one.

ramonmercado and Moth_in_relay like this.
  19. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Toby Jones' dad is in Emmerdale. Any connection or just coincidence?

20. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Jigsaw: Is John Kramer back (from the dead) after ten years or is there a copycat killer at work? Early in the film a corpse is discovered with half of its head missing diagonally. A message has the voiceprint of Kramer and his DNA is found under the fingernails of a victim. Detective Halloran has the job of tracking down the killer with the aid of two pathologists. One of these doctors has a rather outré hobby which causes her to be suspected of being the unsub.

While the search for the killer ensues, five victims are trapped in a building and subjected to a series of tests/games by Jigsaw. Cut up by saws, hanged from a ceiling, injected with acid, so many ways to due. Or even to lose a limb when your leg is trapped by piano wires. This film is not for the squeamish or fainthearted, you even get a head cut into segments and a body shredded by spiral saws.

There are enough surprises, shocks and red herrings to maintain the tension in this eighth installment of the Saw franchise but there are also clues which may help you to work out what's really going on. 7/10.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  21. MrRING

The House of Screaming Death looks like fun British Anthology horror fun in the Amicus/Hammer tradition:

http://onabeamoflight.wixsite.com/screamingdeath

Naughty_Felid and sherbetbizarre like this.
  22. MrRING

This looks like a very interesting spooky flick that is really going to use sounds to great effect:

23. MrRING

This also looks like a good indy horror:

Swifty likes this.
  24. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Sounds interesting. Perhaps a bit like The Forest (2016), a horror film set in Japan.

25. MrRING

I thought SiREN was a great flick. It is a continuation of the best segemnt of the V/H/S horror anthology, and while it's not as 100% as awesome, it's still quite good, and Hannah Fierman was excellent as the strange creature of another world...