Hauntology

Discussion in 'The Human Condition' started by Naughty_Felid, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

The mentions of "British Racing Green" and "Folk Horror" made me think of times when I was very little, (before 5 in the 1970's), and we where driving through Thetford Forest. I remember seeing a power substation or something that must have been quite new and modern but to me looked antiquated and sort of not relevant.

I also felt this often when travelling around big cities to visit family at the same age. That what people were wearing, doing, talking, buildings, cars, etc all seemed and felt old and and out of place even when it was "new" and "now". Tired and weighed down, but lovely.

Anyone else haunted by hauntology?

It faded once i got to about 7.

Swifty and Frideswide like this.
  2. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified and Ancient

You were in Wisbech, right? ;)

graylien and Frideswide like this.
  3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Wisbech does have that feeling of being perpetually run-down. It's a scruffy pit of a place.

Mr T-H and Frideswide like this.
  4. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I thought hauntology was old supernatural TV shows like The Owl Service, Children of the Stones, Sapphire and Steel, that thing with the audience of dummies springing to life, etc? Although if I'm reading your context right, you should be able to get the same feeling back from watching old TV shows and films set in that period too.

Frideswide likes this.
  5. Naughty_Felid

Thats in Norfolk right? Swiftyland?

6. Naughty_Felid

Can be anything. Music particularly. My take of it is old outdated things having an influence on the present.

7. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Music, yeah, that's a good one. I'll tell you something that is extremely evocative of the past and my very early childhood, and I'll understand if you don't want to go there because they're definitely not for everyone, but 1970s British sex comedy films bring back the Britain of yesteryear incredibly vividly if you don't mind the nudity and terrible sex jokes. If you like them, all the better. They have a documentary realism that beats many actual documentaries.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  8. Mythopoeika

The Northern-most part of Cambridgeshire.

9. Coastaljames

Tony Martin country...

[​IMG]

Swifty and Draheste like this.
  10. Draheste

Draheste Yeti

Wow! That's atmospheric! Someone went away and never came back! And nobody went inside the house to wreck it! A paradise for serious UrbEx.

11. Coastaljames

Well, Fred Barras never came back.

12. Mythopoeika

[Duelling banjos in the distance]

13. Draheste

Draheste Yeti

I've forgotten about that story. It adds even more spookiness and gloominess (Sorry for the spelling if it is wrong) to the photograph. Maybe the ghost of the burglar is still in the house.

Frideswide likes this.
  14. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    I'm always up for a little Derrida. That said, I find hauntology a particularly tough concept. If you are meaning nostalgia in general, then yes, I have loads of that. :p If you mean it in a more philosophical, abstract sense, then that's more difficult.

Music is a little easier to pin down. The obvious example is Daft Punk, who have an amazing way of bringing waves of nostalgia despite sounding futuristic. Then again, they are very clever about using samples, so it may simply be an invocation of memory there.

Better example may be this song, which makes me intensely nostalgic for something I honestly can't remember. Yet it seems to exist emotionally for me in a very specific way.

Very strange sensation, that. Phoenix are another French band, so maybe the French have a special way with this. :)

The funny thing is now the song brings back memories of 2010 when it actually came out, as well as the vague and long distant past.

chicorea and Frideswide like this.
  15. Naughty_Felid

The Brits do hauntology the best. The Ghost Box label with the Advisory Circle or Broadcast

Coastaljames likes this.
  16. Naughty_Felid

it cant really nostalgia i was feeling as a kid as i was experiencing it first hand. I was feeling it for the present

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  17. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Can you describe exactly what it was you were feeling? Like a (for lack of a better word) nostalgia for the present, as if it were the past? A sense of things being out of place in time? How did this affect you?

Going by the videos you posted, this brings to mind the sense of alienation I had as a small child - I don't mean this in a negative sense at all, only that I felt an outsider looking in. This was not necessarily an uncomfortable feeling, just a curious one.

Sometimes it would seem I'd known or seen things in another life. Other times, it was as if I was taking in vast amounts of cultural information at once, without being able to fully understand the meaning of it. The feeling was certainly haunting, but whether this has anything to do with hauntology, I don't know.

I've read that theta frequency brain waves, are more prominent in children until age 5 or 6, so perhaps this has something to do with how we intake information at that age. Maybe this accounts for the haunting quality.

18. Coastaljames

Broadcast were/are a wonderful band.

Trish Keenan's death...by swine flu of all things, was a great loss.

19. Coastaljames

Kids have fewer filters.

20. Naughty_Felid

Really difficult to explain when you look at the old public service films of the 70s now. Thats how it felt then. Everything felt dated, but it was only certain places, buildings, etc. Most of the cars and buildings were within 10 years old so not actually that old.

Those 70s films show a past that will never be repeated completely bygone, but evocative.

Ulalume likes this.