FT 355

Discussion in 'Fortean Times Magazine' started by MorningAngel, Jun 16, 2017.

1. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

That's Dr Sutton!

Ermintruder likes this.
  2. Shady

Shady Bring me Dreamies Human

3. Tigerhawk

Tigerhawk Great Old One

Good to see a couple of ghost pics make a return in this issue.

4. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Still awaiting mine... wonder if I should phone? Again.

5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Still no sign of 354. I'll email them now.

6. chicorea

chicorea Yeti

My 354 finally succeed to cross the channel this week! I heard that it was transferred, letter by letter, by Eurostar, and recomposed here...

Ermintruder and ramonmercado like this.
  7. Dinobot

Dinobot Justified and Ancient

My copy arrived yesterday, lovely to see it arrive a week after it goes on sale, rather than the usual two (or sometimes three) weeks later...

(Note to self, no-one likes a gloater...)

titchagain likes this.
  8. AgProv

AgProv Master of Uncertainty and Doubt

Liked the article about the legacy of the Arnold sightings. I was pleased the author picked up the idea that the Horten flying wing jet fighter, which the Germans not only were able to fly in 1945 but were just about to put into active service in squadron strength (this is important) was included as a potential explanation for the sightings.

The reason why this pleased me is that to the best of my knowledge, I was first to advance the idea: FT were kind enough to print my stuff and some photographic sources and provenance I sent them, and this provoked a likely exchange in the letters pages. I can even tell you which issue: it was FT200, if anybody's interested and wants to check it out. I did say at the time it just seemed obvious, and perhaps the only reason it hadn't been advanced before was that UFO researchers and "mainstream" aviation historians seemed to occupy two different areas of research and hadn't found any special reason to talk to each other very much or share information. So one side could be in possession of useful data that the other side would know nothing about because it hadn't occured to anybody to ask or take a look or compare notes.... (Hi FT: a namecheck might be nice? I gave you the info and an interesting theory, after all...)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  9. TheMany

TheMany Phantom

http://www.themany.co.uk
    Call the subs people and asked. I did this once and they sent me a mug.

10. AgProv

AgProv Master of Uncertainty and Doubt

Ye gods, it's a small world... I looked up Dr David Sutton and realised, or was reminded. (And please - I'm not stalking or anything. Honestly. I had just a little flash of "that name sounds familiar from somewhere..." and then checked out publicly available info.) . It appears we started at the same university in the same year of entry and were even in the same school of study (though not on the same course). Not that there's any close association to presume on as there isn't. Our academic trajectories went in completely opposite directions, for one thing: I remember starting very promisingly and then fizzling out. DS evidently stayed the course, demonstrated staying power and perseverance, and went places. (more than I managed or was capable of!) But it's possible that once or twice, maybe, we were in the same classroom or lecture theatre. Small world or what...

ramonmercado likes this.
  11. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified and Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    I should use mine more often, I've always loved the expression on the faces of the little guys on the FT mug :rofl:

[​IMG]

Ermintruder and AgProv like this.
  12. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Is that a Hunt Emerson cartoon?
    I want one!

Ermintruder likes this.
  13. Shady

Shady Bring me Dreamies Human

That was what mine looked like :( I rather like the UFO one as well

14. Dinobot

Dinobot Justified and Ancient

Strange that only UK subscribers seem to get mugs, while the rest of the world seems to miss out...

15. catseye

catseye Generally strange

www.janelovering.co.uk
    I think it would be nice if all subscribers got whatever the free gift is upon renewal of their annual subscription... (I want a mug too. I mean, the calendar is out of date now).

16. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Anyone else still waiting for this issue? Mine never arrived, so I phoned them up a couple of weeks ago to get a replacement, and now that still hasn't arrived. Plus the next issue is out (don't have that either)!

17. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Still waiting for 354 & 355. I emailed rather than called but I might phone them next week.

18. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I'll call them again if it's not here in a couple of days. I don't want this to be the first issue I miss in 20 years.

19. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

355 arrived today! Let us rejoice at that news. I've just finished it, one of those biography-packed issues, interesting enough but there is a nebulous quality to the subjects. Liked the IHTM about floating downstairs, nice to see that's still a thing. And ghost monks are making a comeback - I started a thread on them years ago, so good to read the FT take on the reasons behind the phenomenon. Overall - relieved! Now for the new issue to arrive...