FT 354

Discussion in 'Fortean Times Magazine' started by XEPER_, May 19, 2017.

1. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

[​IMG]

The weekend is sorted! Had a quick look through FT, the Les Dawson piece should be good.

2. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

Oh and the news about Rennes Le Chateau is horrible. These lunatics are a disgrace.

3. Dinobot

Dinobot Justified and Ancient

Such a brilliant looking cover! Makes me want to say in a sing song voice "They're Here!"

4. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

I don't think it has anything to do with Poltergeist - from the quick shufty I had it seems to be about general 70's TV having an air of weirdness about it.

5. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Mine arrived early for a change! Yay! Just read a few pages, liked the letter about the phantom lorry. The hauntology article is a real bumper one for FT from the looks of it.

6. Dinobot

Dinobot Justified and Ancient

I know, but that's what it made me think of first - even though my copy has yet to arrive...

7. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I've just read the main articles, this is shaping up to be one of the best issues. Maybe I'm the right age for it, but the hauntology article was superlative, well worth the extra pages given over to it. Maybe a guide to what to look out for would have added to it, but that's only a minor quibble, there was so much food for thought there about our perception of the weird, then and now. Also liked the parish records article a lot. Now I notice the Les Dawson forum piece - he wrote science fiction?!

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  8. AgProv

AgProv Master of Uncertainty and Doubt

354 has finally got this far North and was in WH Smugs in Stockport.

The "haunted 1970's childhood" article.. the author quoted somebody who heard an evocative piece of music from childhood quite a long time on. This involved the use of indistinct childrens' voices in a spaced-out recurring loop, and the spirit of evocation it raised in him was powerful.

I can relate to that.

I came accross this Bonzo Dog Band track from the late 1960's and the lazy, relaxed summery feel - and the children's voices and seascape right at the start - made me go "Oh dear Gods",and brought back strong sensations of childhood holidays on the Rhyl coast. Real nostalgia. And the children recorded for this track are in all probability grandparents now... a sense of haunting, wistful, loss of something you cannot go back to. Ghosts.

Last edited: May 25, 2017 at 9:51 PM
  9. AgProv

I get it from this track too. This and "Julia Dream".

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  10. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

I thought they were called The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band? Where did I get that from?

11. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

They were originally called The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (a pun on the surrealist movement dada), but shortened their name later, I think because it was easier to say.

XEPER_ likes this.
  12. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Their original name was 'The Bonzo Dog Dada Band', with the 'Dada' mutating into 'Doo-Dah' by the time they recorded their first album (Gorilla). The 'Doo-Dah' disappeared by the time of their second album.

It's never been clear to me when these changes / deletions occurred or what motivated them.

13. BobbyFischface

BobbyFischface New Member

TWITTER:
    bob_fischer
    Hello, it's Bob here... I'm the writer of the 'Haunted Generation' article. Thanks for the kind words, it was an utter labour of love, and I'm thrilled with how it looks in the magazine.

This is the piece of music that sparked off my interest in the whole thing... it's called Roygbiv, and it's by Boards of Canada. It's actually from 1998, which is when I heard it for the first time, but it's clearly designed to be evocative of those mid-1970s BBC Programmes for Schools and Colleges, and it marked my first inkling that there was an emerging school of musicians and artists mining their fuzzy, slightly unsettling childhood memories to make new music and art. I still feel a bit woozy when I hear it now...

14. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
  15. AgProv

16. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Yes, it was an excellent article! Very thought provoking, and I too am a fan of TBoC, I think Roygbiv was the first thing I heard of theirs as well (maybe on the same radio show as your experience?). The parameters set between Sgt Pepper (happy birthday) and Threads are a perfect summation of the whole, what do you call it, genre? It contains so many variations, but you know it when you see/hear it.