FT 351

Discussion in 'Fortean Times Magazine' started by XEPER_, Feb 25, 2017.

1. davidplankton

davidplankton Justified and Ancient

The only time I've watched nearly a whole film thinking that an actor was someone else was Johnny Harris in Black Death (2010). I thought he was Eddie Marsan.

Johnny Harris.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 09.12.35jpeg.jpg

2. henry

henry still speeding

cant see it myself ... ive always thought chris cooper was secretly aaron eckhart though

or vice versa

3. davidplankton

davidplankton Justified and Ancient

I wasn't too familiar with either actor at the time and a lot of it had to do with lighting and they way he spoke.

I once thought that Aaron Eckhart was the guy who played Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones.

4. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Yeah, I saw Johnny Harris in Welcome to the Punch and thought, hey, I don't remember Eddie Marsan in the credits. But oddly I didn't make that mistake when I saw Harris as the bad 'un in This is England on TV.

5. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

Read the Tamam Shud piece yesterday and thought it was really good. Quite sad reading about the little boy in the sack though. :(
    Was surprised to find the entire article had previously been published on the author's blog.

6. Urvogel

Urvogel Yeti

Absolutely gutted to hear that this is the last ever Illustrated Police News article! It's been my favourite part of the mag ever since it debuted, and I'm genuinely saddened to see it go. I think it says a lot about FT's recent decline in quality that we lose this hilarious, informative and entertaining feature, but we still keep Jenny Randle's dead horse blog, Barry Baldwin's unreadable column and S D Tucker's monthly 'I hate Russia' feature.

Not finished the entire mag yet, but the Taman Shud article was excellent. Gave up on Barry Baldwin's part way through (I'm baffled how he can make such interesting topics as dull as ditchwater. Also I really wish he'd stop making gay rape jokes, it's really unsavoury). Never heard of the Mexican female phantom before, so that article was interesting. Also, did anybody spot the guy in one of the Ghostwatch photos wearing a Ghostbusters tshirt to a séance? Not sure if inappropriate or hilarious :evil:

Sounds a lot like facial blindness. I'm awful at recognising actors too. Mr Urvogel won't let me live down the time we watched Batman Begins, we got to the end credits and I exclaimed "I didn't know Liam Neeson was in this film!" :oops:

davidplankton likes this.
  7. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

Yes, I was disappointed to see it's the final IPN piece. It's always interesting.
    Credit where it's surprisingly due though - I really enjoyed the Barry Baldwin article. I thought it was great!
    Didn't think much of the UFO column - the guy's wife had some dreams and he wrote an entire column about them. Pointless.

As a long-time experiencer of sleep paralysis I appreciated the Hierophant's Apprentice section, and also rather liked the bit about the Irish fairy doctor. The school kiddies' IHTM was a fun feature.

Overall, a damn good issue!

8. OriginalHermes

OriginalHermes Phantom

www.roadghosts.com
    Hi all. How long after publication is it taking nowadays to hit the doormat? I've recently re-subscribed; got the mug last week; just missing the mag. Thanks!

9. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

Subs issues normally arrive long before they hit the shelves.

10. OriginalHermes

OriginalHermes Phantom

www.roadghosts.com
    Thanks Xeper. I'll have to contact them.

11. XEPER_

XEPER_ Great Old One

At least you got your mug. They always forget to send me one.

OriginalHermes likes this.
  12. Spookdaddy

Spookdaddy Cuckoo

Barry Baldwin is clearly the equivalent of Fortean marmite; I can't get enough of his stuff - but I can also kind of understand why some people find his style off-putting.

I suspect one of the reasons I like it is that I tend to think in the same way he writes. In fact I have to make a concerted effort to self edit myself away from that kind of parenthetical style - and I'm not sure I always manage; I often look at my posts and wonder if they make sense to anyone else but me...or even me.

The Tamam Shud case is intriguing and I’m always happy to read anything on the incident.

All in all a very enjoyable issue, I thought.

13. owenhere

owenhere Seven And Seven Is Number fortean

I think the IPN series ended because Dr Jan ran out of his issues of said publication... not because it was no longer welcome.

14. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I'm sure the good doctor will continue to contribute, he's too good to let go just because he ran out of one magazine's back issues to research.

15. Tigerhawk

Tigerhawk Great Old One

I will miss the IPN, but what a pity that Barry Baldwin is still allowed to write such drivel! I skip over his articles in most issues, along with ghost watch - the only negatives in the magazine...