Fred & Rosemary West

Discussion in 'Notes & Queries' started by Anonymous, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified and Ancient

It was a while ago since I saw it but I recall it being a decent piece of drama and, as I said, I thought Dominic West was fantastic.

But the AA role was greatly dramatised.

And whether such things should ever be made into entertainment...who knows...

2. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Roger Ebert said you can make a good film (or indeed TV show) about anything, so I don't know if there should be taboos, it's all in the approach.

3. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Here's another song (allegedly) about them:

4. Coastaljames

Obviously yes you can. By definition.

Whether you should? All down to one's opinion.

I saw the AA thing a while back. Seemed respectful and decent. Not lurid. Suppose you could argue it made Fred West appear oddly and strangely, childishly charming...but then many said that about him for real so...

5. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

Is the AA thing referencing Alcoholics Anonymous ? .. we've just watched part 1 and 2 of it (not bad) and the 'appropriate adult's' husband had bipolar syndrome .. have I missed something, I didn't spot any alcohol related stuff ? .. it wasn't bad as entertainment though .. is AA appropriate adults ?

6. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Yes, appropriate adults, not Alcs Anon.

I've just watched part 2 of the ITV drama, and it was very good. It hung together as a good story, but without using 'reconstructions' of any of the crimes alleged, or even photos of dead and dismembered bodies. It was all done 'in the best possible taste', so to speak.

I'll research the case and maybe comment again later.

Swifty likes this.
  7. Swifty

The thing that seemed fake to me was when the officers left her on her own with him in the interview room two or three times after he'd confessed to being a murderer .. and when she first entered the police station via the back door in episode 1, nobody asked her for any ID .. not to mention that woman in charge who just sort of said "Oh .. you must be the appropriate adult, come with me" or words to that affect ..

8. Coastaljames

If you listen to some of the audio of the police interviews, Dominic's Wests "interpretation" is chillingly accurate.

Swifty likes this.
  9. Swifty

Can you provide a link to those audio interviews please Coastal ? .. thanks in advance.

10. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_West#Investigation

The final witnesses to testify at Rose's trial was Fred's appointed appropriate adult, Janet Leach, whom the prosecution had called to testify on 7 November in rebuttal to the tape recordings of Fred's confession which had been played to the court on 3 November and in which he had stressed Rose had "known nothing at all" about any of the murders.[191] Leach testified that through this role, Fred had gradually begun to view her as a confidante, and had confided in her that on the evening prior to his 25 February arrest, he and Rose had formed a pact whereby he would take full responsibility for all the murders, many of which he had privately described to her as being "some of Rose's mistakes". He had further divulged that Rose had indeed murdered Charmaine while he had been incarcerated, and had also murdered Shirley Robinson. Fred had also confided that although he had actually dismembered the victims, Rose had participated in the mutilation and dismemberment of Shirley Robinson, and had personally removed Robinson's unborn child from her womb after her death. In reference to the remaining eight murders for which Rose was charged, Leach testified that Fred had confided Rose had "played a major part" in these murders.[192]

Upon cross examination, Leach did concede to Richard Ferguson she had earlier lied under oath about having sold her story to a national newspaper for £100,000, although she was adamant as to the sincerity of her testimony. While delivering this testimony, Mrs. Leach collapsed, and the trial was adjourned for six days. Nonetheless, she would return to complete her cross examination on 13 November.[193]

This is consistant with the TV programme.

GerdaWordyer and Swifty like this.
  11. Swifty

We watched both episodes last night and I said "I would not do that job!" so often the Mrs started teasing me .. I agreed and still agree with Janet's oldest son ... why the hell did she keep going back to visit Fred when she had multiple chances of quitting ? was her favourite film Silence Of The Lambs or something ? .. I'd have quit after the first interview.

12. escargot1

escargot1 Justified and Ancient

Some people think they can do good in the world and will carry on even if they are being exploited by the individuals they believe they are 'helping' or 'understanding'. West seems to have had a certain charm for women, unimaginable as that seems. I can see how a kind person like Leach would be taken in by him when she really should have run like the wind.

A truly expert manipulator was Myra Hindley, who could talk well-meaning individuals into throwing away their good names and careers with frightening ease. Why not? She had nothing to lose. Wrecking other people's lives was probably an amusing diversion to her.
    (Not everyone was taken in by her, of course. When she and others were to be treated to a small buffet and presentation on passing some exams, other prisoners accessed the room beforehand and tipped the tables over and wrecked the room. They were probably mothers.)