Fraudulent Mediums/Psychics

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Mighty_Emperor, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Mikefule

Mikefule Michael Wilkinson

I divide them into 2 types: those who cynically and deliberately do something they absolutely know is dishonest, and those who mistakenly believe (or have at least convinced themselves) that they have real psychic abilities. We can debate where the line is drawn, but I think there is a difference.

EnolaGaia and Yossarian like this.
  2. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

Yes sorry didn't phrase my post very well. What I meant was that no one will now be able to convince me that there are not some people out there who have absolutely genuine psychic abilities. Purely my experience over a period of several years interest in the subject. Each to his own view though:)

3. Mikefule

Mikefule Michael Wilkinson

I had misunderstood you. Sorry.

I personally do not believe in psychic abilities in the sense of psychics contacting the dead or finding the living.

I reserve judgement on whether some form of direct emotional communication between living people who are closely linked may be possible. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence, largely unverifiable, to suggest there may be something there. But contacting the dead, or locating a stranger who is missing? I'd need more than anecdotes to even start to consider things like that as a possibility.

This is based on my assessment of the probabilities, the lack of evidence that I would expect to have accumulated by now, and the lack of any theory of a mechanism by which it could happen. That is not to say I'm ruling it out; more "discounting the possibility".

EnolaGaia and Dr_Baltar like this.
  4. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

I had an encounter a few weeks ago that put me in mind of this thread ...

I was a few hundred miles from home, having just arrived at a house I'm working to clear out and sell. As I pulled in and parked my car I noticed someone had newly rented the house next door. There were a couple of young folks carrying boxes into this neighboring house and a pair of young men futzing around with a sizable sign structure in its front yard. That house had previously operated as a daycare center, and it was situated on a major thoroughfare.

I parked on the carport at 'my' house, and before I could go inside an odd little woman came over from next door. She was graying, chatty, bedecked in a bohemian motif, and she projected the general impression of a long countercultural lifestyle now in its latter stages. She introduced herself as the new occupant of the house next door.

She'd come over to advise me an individual had been and gone at 'my' house not long before I arrived. She told me this person was a young darker-haired man named Baldwin, they'd chatted a bit, and he'd expressed interest in the old lawnmowers sitting on the carport. She said the guy had declined to leave any contact info, but would swing back by the place later in the day.

I had no idea who that may have been. I thanked her, she went back home, and I started my work inside 'my' house.

Within an hour, a car pulled up. It carried two old friends I had expected - a couple visiting our hometown for the first time in the 7 years since their retirement to South America. I asked if they'd been there earlier and talked with a woman from next door, and they said yes. According to them:

- They'd both gotten out of the car, checked 'my' house to see if I was there, and chatted with the neighbor woman;
    - Their name began with a 'B', but was nothing remotely similar to 'Baldwin';
    - The male was older than I am (i.e., late 60's); and
    - They hadn't discussed, nor even paid any attention to, the lawnmowers.

We were musing on how badly the woman had misremembered their encounter when I noticed the two young men once again futzing with the sign structure in the neighboring house's front yard. They unfurled a professionally-printed banner and attached it to the structure.

It read 'Psychic Readings' and invited customers to drop in (next door).

My expatriate friends and I had a hearty laugh and agreed our confidence in the psychic neighbor's talents had been severely undermined ...

5. Dr_Baltar

Dr_Baltar Left Foot of God

Perhaps Baldwin is yet to arrive. :pipe:

Rosebud likes this.
  6. Vardoger

Vardoger Bring the Beat Back!!

Perhaps it was just some other person. Why would she even mention the lawnmowers if the person wasn't interested in them.