Fortean Plants

Discussion in 'Cryptozoology: General' started by Anonymous, Mar 23, 2002.

1. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    I was in a botanical garden last weekend and noticed these two oddities:

Ecballium elaterium
    , also called the squirting cucumber or exploding cucumber is a plant in the cucumber family. It gets its unusual name from the fact that, when ripe, it squirts a stream of mucilaginous liquid containing its seeds, which can be seen with the naked eye.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecballium_elaterium

Some nice footage here:

And:
    S. pyracanthos is perhaps most distinguished by a profusion of strong, straight fluorescent orange thorns which occupy the stems and leaves of the plant, giving it a foreboding appearance.
    http://plantlust.com/plants/solanum-pyracanthum/

Swifty and Frideswide like this.
  2. uair01

TWITTER:
    uair01
    Novena, JamesWhitehead and Frideswide like this.
  3. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

As this article reminds me, I was given Datura medicinally as a child!

It was an active ingredient in Potter's Asthma Remedy. A spoonful of the brown powder was placed on a saucer and ignited with a spill to start a small, spitting volcano. The fumes were quite calming and pleasing.

It may just have been habit and expectation producing a placebo effect but the little green tins were called on several times a year. I never progressed to the cigarettes - advertised on the tin. Whether my feverish imagination was inflamed by this substance is hard to say . . . :oops:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  4. uair01

TWITTER:
    uair01
    My scientific poison-book confirms that Datura was used for asthma and that people have been poisoned by overdosing on asthma-cigarettes, and also by ingesting Datura leaf preparations meant for smoking. So you had a risky childhood ;)

5. JamesWhitehead

6. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    It's what gave you the lovely psychedelic purple colour you have today. :D

Ermintruder likes this.
  7. Mungoman

Mungoman Mostly harmless...

G'day uair01, we have a similar plant here in australia, albeit a different species (Solanum linnaeanum). It goes by the many varied common names of; Afghan thistle, apple of Sodom, apple-of-Sodom, bitter apple, black-spined nightshade, Dead Sea apple, devil's apple, poison apple, poison bush, poison weed, Sodom's apple, Sodom-apple.

Either way it's a right bastard and extremely hard to eradicate.

http://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/w...605030c0f01/media/Html/Solanum_linnaeanum.htm

8. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified & Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
  9. Yithian

Yithian Intergalactic Space Crusader Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    An old but wonderful story that I haven't seen before:

escargot and Mungoman like this.
  10. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

According to its Wikipedia entry, the Nepenthes rajah giant pitcher plant contains some 2.5 litres of digestive fluid and has been known to kill vertebrates as large as rats. Not a nice way to go!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepenthes_rajah

JamesWhitehead likes this.
  11. JamesWhitehead

Eeek! I don't think I had ever seen that kind of pitcher-plant. It looks like a toilet! :eek:

12. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I'm sure it smells like one too.

13. Xanatic*

Xanatic* Justified & Ancient

They don't, I've seen them in the wild.

Mythopoeika likes this.
  14. David Plankton

David Plankton Antediluvian

A farmer on the west coast of Ireland thinks that brambles could be considered carnivorous plants -

15. Andy X

Andy X Portent

...and a couple of years later, via another post about herbal asthma remedies which I'm now unable to locate...

Datura is definitely a bronchiodilator (sp?). I knew that my maternal grandmother smoked asthma fags but have had to quiz my mum for the details. As it turns out the brand was indeed Potter's (and she recognised the googled green packaging of the powder tins immediately).

Although she smoked the cigarettes at home it was a different story when on holiday as she used to take the powder instead - the reasoning being that the cigarettes produced much more 'unusually' scented smoke and they were worried that a seaside B&B landlady might mistake this for your marijuanas and chuck them out for being dope fiends (or worse still, get the police involved). Even my mum didn't really know what cannabis smelt like at the time, but they were keen to avoid holiday-ruining complications.

Her asthma must have been a real problem as she also had cylinders of oxygen/ephedrine at home; the mixture to be inhaled through a metallic face mask. This was also administered to the kids (my mum and aunt) when they had heavy colds and definitely made them feel much better (this being years before you could pay through the nose to get a shot of oxygen in a trendy bar or spa hotel!)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    JamesWhitehead likes this.
  16. Bullseye

Bullseye Abominable Snowman

I've lost count of the sheep I've cut out of brambles, can't remember any other creatures caught up in them but a dead sheep would spread nutrients about for a good area.

And Datura, I've got 7 of them,thought I'd lost my original 3 in the winter ordered 4 more, original 3 started sprouting when I got the new ones !. Fantastic plants.

Mungoman likes this.
  17. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

Do you make use of their psycho-active effects or do you just like their appearance?

18. Mungoman

Mungoman Mostly harmless...

Once had a ram hooked up in pig wire while shifting a few woolies in a bush fire - They're silly bloody things Bullseye. Dorpers aren't bad - they have a few brains about them but merino crosses - ye gods and little fishes.

Where are you Bullseye - NZ?

19. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

l once heard a farmer say that a sheep has two ambitions in life, either to escape or to kill itself.

maximus otter

20. Bullseye

With a dodgy heart?, no I just like them as plants. first flower just forming.

hunck likes this.
  21. Bullseye

No, East Sussex, England.(Though my parents emigrated to NZ when I was about 5 years old,I absolutely loved it,lived down an old dirt track on the very outskirts of Auckland, my father could'nt get up to his old dodges and scams over there so we came back after a year,I really did'nt want to come back.) Lots of the woolly buggers around here on the South Downs ,soft high hills,got their own breed of sheep called the er, South Down,famous for dying if they get on their backs, and nearby on Romney Marsh another breed called the ,er, yeah you guessed it, Romney,which I believe was crossed with a Spanish breed to get the Marino,so that explains a lot about them!.