Fortean Devon

Discussion in 'Fortean Traveller' started by Kondoru, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TheMany

TheMany Phantom

http://www.themany.co.uk
  2. birdy

birdy Yeti

Theo Brown's "Devon Ghosts" is a brilliant read for an overview on some of the wonderful weirdness we Devonians live amongst. I read it cover to cover and back again for years while growing up and begged my parents to make sure our family excursions took in some of the locations mentioned.
    Includes some of the most eerie illustrations I've ever seen in a ghost-y book, one which stick in my mind is a scratchy ink drawing of two pure white pigs chained amongst thick dark vegetation - although reading that back, maybe you had to be there! :oops: Even the cover art gives me the creeeeps.

Definitely a recommended read though!

3. Fanari_Lloyd

Fanari_Lloyd Yeti

I have just ordered Devon Ghosts from Amazon - thank-you for mentioning it!
    I love books like that, that I can read cover to cover. I don't live in Devon, (Wiltshire) but not too far away.

4. Kevin25

Kevin25 New Member

Yes, loads of weirdness for us Devonians down here.

You can travel the "Hairy Hands" road and visit the site of the WWI Powder Mill in which, after an explosion, they supposedly found a pair of hands as the only remains which is the origin of the story. The accidents they later caused were very real.

Crazy Well Pool definitely. Camping anywhere on Dartmoor is a fun experience after you have read all the stories!

One story I am trying to locate if anyone can help. Sometime in the 90's (I think) the BBC had a programme featuring the four most convincing ghost stories they could find. One of these was located somewhere inland behind Dawlish/Teignmouth.

There was this terrible malevolent entity in the house which was physically attacking the owner. Very bad. At some later stage they dug in the garden and found crucified cats! A ghost hunter from Teignmouth was called in. He was interviewed as all this had happened recently (ie the 80's?)

Now I done many Google searches for this using endless variations of keywords. It's the most convincing ghost story I've ever happened upon.

Does anyone remember the programme? Is it in any book? I've looked through countless Devon Ghost Books to no avail.

5. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Sounds like the sort of thing YouTube is made for, you could always scour the paranormal fans' channels for a clip of the programme?

6. Kevin25

Kevin25 New Member

Thank you gncxx

Your tip finally enabled me to find this!

Key word is "Hawthorn Cottage" Teignmouth. There is the 11 minute extract from the BBC documentary - late 90's I think, called Britain's Most Terrifying Ghost Stories.

This is the best programme I've seen on "ghosts" with four excellent stories and all the eyewitnesses - whole docu is on youtube.

Thanks again - Kevin

7. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Excellent, glad to be of help!

8. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
  9. asparagus

asparagus Phantom

As a resident of nearby Dawlish, I'm interested to read about Hawthorn Cottage, Teignmouth - which I'd never heard of before. Just up from Dawlish in the Haldon Hills, Lidwell Chapel is worth looking out with its notorious legend of the mad monk. There is a persistent story that someone in the 1970s took photos at the ruined site that when developed showed the chapel as it would have been in its prime in the fourteenth century. A nice story, though it sounds a bit like an urban myth.

The most evocative place in Devon is perhaps Wistman's Wood, near Two Bridges. It is seemingly part of the original forest which covered Dartmoor before prehistoric inhabitants cleared most of it several thousand years ago. The gnarled trees seem to grow out of solid rocks and it is really unlike anywhere else not only in Devon but I think the whole UK.

10. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Wistman's Wood - I had to Google it! It looks like a stereotypical haunted wood! :eek:

11. rynner2

This currently available iPlayer prog may be of interest here:
    Secret Britain - Series 3: 3. Devon
    Ellie Harrison, Chris Hollins and Denise Lewis explore Devon.

On a journey from an abandoned island on the south coast to the county's most hidden and remote surf spots in the north, Ellie Harrison follows in Drake's footsteps, seeking out Devon's best-kept secrets.

Chris Hollins relives an ancient and long-forgotten purification ritual on Dartmoor, and Denise Lewis uncovers the secret history of the county's most reluctant visitors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b078j2yj/secret-britain-series-3-3-devon

12. rynner2

When I started watching that iPlayer presentation, I thought it might be mildly interesting. But I was wrong - it was very interesting! I've lived many years in Devon, north and south, but I learned things I'd not heard before. Especially about the Silver Mines of Combe Martin. Apart from that, there was a secret cave system on Dartmoor - all those underground sequences got my claustrophobia alarm throbbing!

Happily there were lots of open country and sea scenes as compensation. And I never knew the Army had a railway on Dartmoor either!

birdy likes this.
  13. hunck

hunck Justified and Ancient

Good programme - the discovery of a new stone circle on Dartmoor in 2009 was interesting amongst the other stuff.

14. Dinobot

Dinobot Justified and Ancient

You know, in Australia Devon is the name of luncheon meat, usually as a kids sandwich filler, so when I saw the title "Fortean Devon" I thought "Has the face of Jesus appeared on someones sandwich?"

Rosebud likes this.
  15. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
  16. Dinobot

Dinobot Justified and Ancient

I knew I had to explain that one better than I did!

17. rynner2

The Dartmoor legend of the rich Lord who killed his horse and climbed inside for warmth
    By Herald_Miles | Posted: July 23, 2017
    Video: 5m 04s: Dartmoor's landscape.

There are many spooky stories about Dartmoor that give us the shivers.
    But have you ever heard the freaky tale about the aristocrat who killed his own horse during a freak storm - and hid inside in a desperate effort to survive?

It's a tale that's not for the faint-hearted.
    Legend has it that Ordulf, Lord of the Manor of Plymstock, was out hunting one day when he became separated from the rest of his party.
    The weather turned and his situation became so extreme - he was forced to kill his horse.
    Frantic and with no other options left as temperatures plummeted and the rain lashed down, Ordulf disemboweled it and crawled inside for warmth – the 11th-century version of a hot-water bottle.

It was a bad move – he'd have been better with a live horse than a dead one. He was found frozen solid by a group of monks, and it is said that from time to time the rare visitor to this remote corner might still catch a ghostly glimpse of these holy fellows carrying a bier across the wilderness.

But before he perished on that dark night, he left a note stating that whoever found and buried him could have his Plymstock estate.
    The monks of Tavistock Abbey found his body and buried him in their grounds. Childe's Tomb was erected to mark the spot where Ordulf - son the of 11th-century Earl of Devon - fell and can still be seen today near Fox Tor Mire.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/the...e-for-warmth/story-30450758-detail/story.html

PeteByrdie likes this.
  18. Yithian

Yithian Cloud-Sculptor of Coral D Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Surely he should have realised that his horse would freeze before he reached the first marker?

Hogarth999 and PeteByrdie like this.