Forgotten History

Discussion in 'Urban Legends & Folklore' started by McAvennie, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    He looks totally relaxed and having fun - I've never seen a pic of Jeremy Thorpe smiling before. Excellent find.

2. Spookdaddy

Spookdaddy Cuckoo

Yes. A man of great potential - including the potential to self-destruct.

I’d recommend reading the aforementioned book alongside An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo by Richard Davenport-Hines.

Although the Thorpe trial was in the 70’s I’m pretty sure Thorpe’s relationship with Scott was more or less contemporaneous with that between Profumo and Keeler. One was a storm in a teacup which ruined the lives of many, and ended the life of one, the other resulted in the aborted commission of a very serious crime – but both say a lot about society in the 60’s early 70’s.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  3. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Ephemeral Spectre

I happened to hear a radio interview today with a survivor of the Bethnal Green tube station disaster, as the memorial was unveiled last month. Shockingly, I had absolutely no knowledge of the event at all (although if I'd heard it mentioned in passing, I may well have mentally confused it with the Balham bombing). The combination of a totally unnecessary tragedy and blatant ass-covering by senior figures afterwards in the name of 'morale' is appalling to read about.

Plenty of info here and here.

4. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

Wow. I knew about the disaster but I had been left with the idea that it had been caused entirely by the panic. This probably should be in Conspiracies.

This is why I like these boards so much - there are always things coming up that challenge your previous view.

5. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

I remember it very well. At the time it wasn't taken seriously. The details were too ludicrous and nobody involved was in any real danger, apart from the poor dog, so each day's tabloid revelations of the trial seemed comical rather than shocking. You'd read bits out to your workmates at tea break and everyone'd guffaw.

There were lots of ribald jokes.One was to say solemnly 'It's his (Thorpe's) poor wife I feel sorry for. I'm sure she doesn't know which way to turn.' Him being bisexual, y'know. It was seen as hilariously vulgar back then.

Cochise likes this.
  6. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

Min Bannister, poozler and escargot like this.
  7. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

Here is a subject I thought I knew about but the 3D Film Archive site has dug into lots of contemporary American publications to document, in detail, the history of Hi-Fi in the home. The first part looks at the reel-to-reel tape boom in the early fifties and the curious, early binaural records which required a double-headed pick-up. The second part looks at the first year of stereo LPs - 1958. These are long and detailed pages - essentially a book! For the first time, I began to fully appreciate the extent to which the risks were taken by forgotten, independent companies such as Audiosphere, who also created the demand for stereo:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/binaural-or-bust

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/first-year-of-stereo-records

:cheer:

Ermintruder and escargot like this.
  8. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    From a comment here:
    http://marginalrevolution.com/margi.../culture-san-francisco-solve-equilibrium.html

We had a similar revolution in the late 19th century. Almon Strowger invented the automatic telephone exchange for the explicit purpose of eliminating operators. Strowger was a funeral director, one of two in the town where he lived. He suspected a telephone operator was directing business to his competitor, so he invented the dial telephone and the Strowger switch (used to decode the dial pulses at the central office). Just to get rid of that one operator, he got rid of most operators everywhere. He ultimately sold his company to AT&T for a remarkably low price and went back to being a funeral director.