Forgotten History

Discussion in 'Urban Legends & Folklore' started by McAvennie, Apr 7, 2009.

1. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified & Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
    Two words.

"Rogue One"

2. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    titch likes this.
  3. Mythopoeika

Oliver Reed was Julie Andrews!

At weekends, anyway.

Ermintruder and escargot like this.
  4. Xanatic*

Xanatic* Justified & Ancient

I'm not sure we can count Rogue One as forgotten history. I have a feeling it was made up.

5. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Getty, not Hughes, but yeah, they could CGI him a new face, though I seriously doubt they would because the film would still feature Spacey's dirty, dirty body. Plummer is about a foot taller than Spacey (and Getty), so we'll see when All The Money in the World is released if he's looking shorter. He was director Ridley Scott's first choice anyway, apparently, but the studio thought Spacey in a rubber fright mask would be more lucrative. He's just cost them millions more on the budget. Still, you have to laugh (?).

7. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Oh yeah, how remiss of me to mix up two old billionaires. :conf2:

(There'a already at least one fillum about Hughes. I remember him still being alive, living in his apartment with his germ-phobia.)

How'll they do it then, one wonders? CGI Plummer into every scene, only shorter? They can't re-shoot it all. It's due out in weeks.

Back in the Golden Days of Hollywood the studios kept a close eye on their stars and worked hard to prevent scandals. An actor living with a partner without being married or their being openly gay would have been too dangerous for the public to find out about it. Drug-taking was out too, although everyone seemed to smoke and troublesome alcoholics were indulged as 'hell-raisers'.

The 'Casting Couch' and the general sexual exploitation of vulnerable young hopefuls though, they were too filthy to talk about, even though they were an open secret inside the industry.

Looks like things haven't changed. Spacey has being accused of various assaults over many years but has only now been dropped.
    It's not about keeping people safe, it's how things look. How hypocritical.

8. Mythopoeika

They'll probably just CGI the face in, leaving Spacey's body. They'll probably still have to pay Spacey for his work.

9. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Yup that's what I thought, and the R4 bod.
    Like the undertaker joke!

10. Mythopoeika

R4?

11. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Radio 4.

12. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

There is a wonderfully terrible film partially starring Bruce Lee in places but spliced in with several other actors, all with different body shapes and fighting styles and in some scenes, a photograph of Bruce Lee mounted on a stick. :rollingw:I wish I could remember what it is called.

escargot likes this.
  13. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified & Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
  14. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

An appropriate time of year to highlight this piece of Forgotten History.

The forgotten Muslim heroes who fought for Britain in the trenches
    The stories of the 2.5 million Muslims who travelled to Europe to fight for the allies during the first world war are finally being told

Sunday 12 November 2017 00.04 GMTLast modified on Sunday 12 November 2017 05.48 GMT

A biting wind whips across the rolling countryside, cutting through the crowd gathered on a hillside overlooking Notre Dame de Lorette, France’s national war cemetery. Huddled amid what remains of the 440 miles of trenches that made up the western front, they shudder out of shock and surprise rather than cold while listening about life for the men who endured the horrors of the first world war.

More than 1.5 billion artillery shells fell in this part of northern France, close to the town of Arras, prompting soldiers to nickname the farmland in which they fought “the hell of the north”, or poignantly, “the cemetery”. It is the experiences of some of their Muslim comrades, however, that particularly capture the crowd’s imagination, drawing looks of disbelief at a history that has never been fully told.

Having travelled thousands of miles from hotter climes, these soldiers went into the trenches with imams whose duties included leading group prayers and reciting the call to prayer into the ears of the dying. Special orders had been issued on when and how to pray. “If the war is intense and the Muslim does not have a moment of peace to fulfil his prayer he can just move his head and torso,” said a declaration from French high command. “In the case where there are moments of calm, one can complete the prayer together.”

Hot halal food was routinely served, prepared by cooks who had accompanied the men. When medical supplies ran out, some of these soldiers used traditional herbal medicines from their homelands to help treat injured comrades, whatever their faith. Others taught their folk songs to those serving alongside them, whatever their language, in between the brutal onslaughts of trench warfare.

The evidence of their sacrifice is on display in a corner of Notre Dame de Lorette, which contains the graves of 40,000 French soldiers who fell on the western front. The Muslim headstones are distinguishable not just by their Islamic inscriptions but because they also tilt eastwards towards Mecca. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ritain-first-world-war?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

15. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Scott's reshooting whole scenes with Plummer and the returning cast. The Getty role was very much a supporting one, so he's only in about a quarter of it, if that. It might be a bigger hit now, the curiosity about the results are already pretty intense.

escargot likes this.
  16. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Sounds totally farcical.

17. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

The alternative is scrapping the whole thing, and the vast majority of law-abiding cast and crew's work will have been for nothing because of one man's bad behaviour. So in the long run, reshoots are better, though these things usually happen after a cast member dies without completing their scenes, rather than a career dying after completing them.

Funnily enough, Mark Wahlberg is the leading man in this, and he has a criminal record thanks to extreme violence in his past, but apparently that's absolutely fine (!).

escargot likes this.
  18. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Yeah, I can see why it's being rejigged but WHAT a palaver.

19. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

Ermintruder likes this.
  20. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

On the other hand...

https://timeline.com/nazis-muslim-extremists-ss-6824aee281d2

Hitler's Muslim SS division.

One fanatic exploiting another.

Naughty_Felid and Swifty like this.
  21. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

Curious. I like The Guardian, but I'd estimate that they've published a 'Forgotten Muslims of WW1' style article at least four or five times since the turn of the century.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2009/nov/05/muslim-soldiers-first-world-war

On a similar note - there was an excellent exposé-style programme on Ch4 last night http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-forgotten-army about the Chinese Labour Corps in WW1.

But they (the CLC) cannot actually be said to be forgotten about either if eg the Guardian was also publishing about them, sporadically, over the same post-millenial period

(eg this three year old news item)
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-war-forgotten-chinese-labour-corps-memorial

Is it not more realistic for the world's media to simply (sadly) accept that the vast majority of people learn neither big lessons nor intimate detail from history?

(nb - I utterly hate that this is the case. But we are all substantially powerless against the darkness of ignorance - aside from rare candles of thought, such as the most excellent institutions that are FT, and FTMB)

Cochise likes this.
  22. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Cochise likes this.
  23. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

A worthy suggestion.

Kim Newman‏@AnnoDracula
    It's not too late to re-edit Michael Jackson's Thriller video with Christopher Plummer in the lead.

11:59 AM - 13 Nov 2017

UnknownUnknown and escargot like this.
  24. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

In the Times today I read a piece about the Spacey/Plummer fillum which mocked Spacey's unrealistic 'old man' latex prosthetic. The writer (forget who) reckoned Plummer's genuinely aged face was a huge improvement! Plummer was the first choice, after all.

25. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Ephemeral Spectre

FTFY

26. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Incidentally, I looked up Plummer's height believing him to be over 6 feet, but apparently he's only 5'10", same as me! Even better casting as Getty. Julie Andrews must be tiny.

escargot likes this.
  27. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

In a parallel universe, Mark was laughed off the screen in Dreamcatcher and Donnie is the respected thespian.

28. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

Internet sources quote her as being 5'7". So, not tiny. Nor short.

(Mind you, they also say online, for example, that HM Queen Elizabeth II is 5'1", being reduced in height with age over time from 5'4". Having been presented to HMTQ on two occasions in the 1990s, I would've said she was then barely 5ft tall, same height as my dear old departed mum.

29. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified & Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    I was trying to think which thread this should go in and in the end thought it would fit into Folklore as it's not quite Cryptozoology,

The Shapwick Monster

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/fe...crab__transformed__into_a_terrifying_monster/

30. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified & Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    Earlier this evening a friend was telling me about a story he had heard on Radio 4 a few years ago, about a sailor who was swallowed by a whale and survived. I did a search and managed to track down what he was on about, it was this story from a 2013 episode of Radio 4's Short Cuts,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hb0wx

I had never heard of this story before, and I also found the level of detail intriguing, i.e the whale's throat quivering. Here's the wiki entry for the character in the story, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bartley