Farmers

Discussion in 'The Human Condition' started by ramonmercado, Jun 24, 2014.

1. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

Some of the above may have been made up. :evil:

ramonmercado likes this.
  2. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

A farmer has insisted he will shoot down the next drone that appears over his property for fear it is being used by burglars to 'case out' his land.

Robert O'Shea, who farms near Thurles, Co Tipperary, was reacting to comments made by a Garda superintendent, who told a recent meeting of the Joint Policing Committee in Sligo that it is illegal to shoot down a drone.

"Gun licences are granted under strict conditions which do not include shooting down aircraft, and as drones are technically considered aircraft, I would caution anyone against shooting at drones," said Sligo/Leitrim Division Chief Superintendent, Michael Clancy.

However, Mr O'Shea, whose property was burgled three years ago, and who recently observed a drone hovering over his farmyard, has said that farmers should defend their property against those using the mechanically propelled machines. "To be honest, while it may be illegal to do, shooting these things down is the only real solution," he said. ...

http://www.independent.ie/business/...d-warns-farmer-after-burglaries-35439045.html

rynner2 likes this.
  3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I think he's perfectly entitled to shoot drones down if they're over his land.
    Rewrite the law to put drones into a separate category. Make it a legal requirement for drone owners to ask for permission to film over private land.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  4. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I fear that a farmer who hasn't been to Specsavers might shoot down a helicopter.

5. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

^^this^^

Mythopoeika likes this.
  6. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Two men have been killed in separate farm accidents this morning, the Health and Safety Authority has confirmed.

A man in his 20s has died following a farm accident in Co. Wexford, when the quad he was driving overturned.

It is believed the man was on his father’s farm when the accident occurred.

Meanwhile, a second fatality has been confirmed by the HSA as a result of a farm accident in Birr, Co. Offaly.

A farmer in his 70s was killed when he was struck by a tractor on his farm this morning, March 15, according to the HSA.

These two farm accidents follow on from the news that a farmer in his 50s died over the weekend as a result of a farm accident involving livestock. ...

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news...illed in separate farm accidents this morning

7. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

8. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

Sorry Rammon so whats this about?

9. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

10. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Game of Thrones saved my livelihood says Northern Irish farmer
    Mr Gracey, who runs Forthill Farm supplies a lot of the livestock that are featured in the hugely popular TV show

[​IMG]
    Mr Gracey, who runs Forthill Farm supplies a lot of the livestock that are featured in the hugely popular TV show (Photo: Sky News)
    This is the Northern Irish farmer who supplies hit fantasy drama Game of Thrones with some of their real life creatures.

Kenny Gracey, from Co Armagh says he was struggling to keep his farm going, until the HBO series made his rare breeds a roaring success.

Mr Gracey, who runs Forthill Farm supplies a lot of the livestock that are featured in the hugely popular TV show, and he believes the series is the reason he's been able to keep his business going.

"It has been a great asset and a great saviour for our farm.

"Any of the background animals, the chickens, the goats, the geese, the dogs for instance or the deer ... I'm supplying those," he told Sky News.

And it's not only Mr Gracey's animals that have become big screen hits thanks to the show, Odin and Thor, Northern Inuit dogs from Co Down , made their TV debut at the age of six weeks playing the role of Direwolves 'Summer' and 'Greywind'. ...

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/t...ivelihood-says-12391451#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Spudrick68 and rynner2 like this.
  11. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

The Cows Will Kill You, and Other News
    By Dan Piepenbring March 24, 2017

Go ahead and laugh at the cows, with their multiple stomachs, their indolent cud chewing, their superfluity of feces. The cows will kill you. Deep in a cow’s soul is an existential rage, a hatred of its own cowness that, once activated, generates an unslakable thirst for blood. And it is human blood they crave, for it is humans who have made their condition one of endless bondage.

The statistics bear me out on this—at least in the United Kingdom, where, as Glen Newey writes, you’re more likely to die under the hooves of an angry steer than you are at the hands of a terrorist: “The HSE [Health and Safety Executive] logs seventy-four ‘fatalities involving cattle’ in the UK in 2000–15, compared to fifty-three deaths caused by Islamist terrorism in the same period.

Many of the victims were farm workers, while eighteen were ‘MOPs’ or members of the public. These victims were disproportionately older people (only one was under fifty, thirteen were over sixty and as many as five were over seventy). More chilling still, as the HSE report makes clear, is the specific threat posed by out-of-control mothering cows. Of incident reports where the gender of the assailant was identified, ten involved cows with calves, and only one a bull. Hence it emerges that predominantly older people are being targeted by nursing cattle. Vegans seem largely to have been spared. But nobody is wholly safe from this civilizational threat, not just to our persons but to our old, carnivorous values.”

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2017/03/24/the-cows-will-kill-you-and-other-news/

12. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

No news to me, long standing taurophobe (thought I was a bit of a wuss then found out my paternal grandfather was the same and he flew in combat). It's the whole 'lights on nobody home' look in the eyes...

13. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

The look in their eyes leaves me Friesian.

14. Mythopoeika

It's a moo-t point.

15. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

But it makes me want to put on a jersey.

16. Mythopoeika

I'd only put on a jersey if I was Friesian cold.

17. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

You're milking this for all its worth.

18. Mythopoeika

Don't have a cow, man! :D

19. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I'll have to steer you away from this.

20. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Farm leaders have said government plans to bring EU law onto the UK statute books must not jeopardise future trading arrangements with Europe.

But they said the opportunity to review many of the regulations that govern farming should not be lost.

The leaders of the UK's farming unions have been meeting in Northern Ireland.

In a statement, they said the job of transposing existing EU laws is one of the "biggest legislative challenges" ever faced.

The government has announced plans to bring EU laws into domestic legislation at the point of exit.

The details are in a white paper published on Thursday for a proposed Great Repeal Bill. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-39453614