Faith Healing

Discussion in 'Religions & Cults' started by caroleaswas, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Jim

Jim Great Old One

Well there certainly enough of those scum buckets around.

2. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Maybe out on the street's the best place for them, so you can cross the road to avoid them. Seriously, how desperate would you need to be to be so-called "healed" in front of passersby going shopping? Ever so slightly cheapens the word of the Lord, no?

3. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Justified and Ancient

If it makes a bit more sense, Leeds Vineyard seem to be using the Methodist Church across the road from there as their regular meeting place.

Might drop them an email too just to make sure they know what's going on.

4. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Right, so they have a base of operations? I had a vision of roaming healers stalking the streets of Leeds, picking up the gullible and vulnerable (and putting them back down again).

5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

A Seattle man running a so-called Christian prayer website and other businesses will return millions of dollars to consumers nationwide who paid for prayers, the Washington state attorney general said.

As part of an agreement, Benjamin Rogovy will pay back as much as $7.75 million to approximately 165,000 customers who were victims of Rogovy's deceptive business practices in several companies he ran, Attorney General Bob Ferguson said Wednesday.

Rogovy used systematic deception in his operation of the Christian Prayer Center, creating fake religious leaders and posting false testimonials on its website to entice people to pay from $9 to $35 for prayers, Ferguson said. The attorney general says Rogovy collected over $7 million from consumers between 2011 and 2015 and that his actions violate the state Consumer Protection Act.

"What I will not tolerate is unlawful businesses that prey upon people —taking advantage of their faith or their need for help— in order to make a quick buck," Ferguson said in a news release. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-to-return-millions-to-people-for-online-prayers/ar-BBqyXsE

rynner2 likes this.
  6. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Do people get a refund if the prayers didn't work?

7. Jim

Jim Great Old One

Prayers to the Lord are request only. Any bribes or gifts made to men (regardless of their title) is nonsense. The Lord tells us to pray as group at times and times alone, but never to ask for money for prayers or faith based services. This guy is a shameless scum bag.

ramonmercado likes this.
  8. hunck

hunck Justified and Ancient

No mention of jail...He deserves a banging up as well as repaying.

9. Jim

Jim Great Old One

He should defiantly be brought up on charges!

10. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Justified and Ancient

Yes, I've found the Twitter account for the local Methodist Circuit and tweeted photo and video to them. :D

Last time I locked horns with them they were using a local primary school as their meeting place.

Frideswide likes this.
  11. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Good for you! If they're asking for "donations" for their "services" then you could be onto something. Even if they aren't asking, I suppose.

12. Frideswide

Frideswide Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)

13. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I think there might be a more appropriate thread for this but I can't find it.

READING, Pa. — A pastor in a fundamentalist Christian sect that rejects doctors and drugs has been charged in the death of a child — his own granddaughter — from medical neglect. The novel prosecution is raising hopes among some advocates that it might spur change in a church that has resisted it.

Faith Tabernacle Congregation has long told adherents to place their trust in God alone for healing. As a result, dozens of children, mostly in Pennsylvania, have died of preventable and treatable illnesses. Church members reject modern medicine as a bedrock tenet of their faith, even as some have faced manslaughter charges in child deaths dating back 35 years.

Until now, though, no leader in the sect has ever faced charges.

"It could be a new tool to save the lives of these children," said Rita Swan, one of the nation's top experts on faith-based medical neglect. She leads the group Children's Healthcare is a Legal Duty, which works to eliminate religious exemptions in state laws requiring parents to provide appropriate medical care.

With a routine course of antibiotics, 2-year-old Ella Foster would have almost certainly beaten the pneumonia that took her life in November. But her parents refused medical care, and she succumbed shortly after they asked the Rev. Rowland Foster to anoint her. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...icine-case-against-pastor-is-novel/ar-BByd25Y

14. Jim

Jim Great Old One

Being a Christian I find it hard to believe people are deceived by such charlatans. The man is criminal outright.

GingerTabby and ramonmercado like this.
  15. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

There's a scene in that new documentary about Stephen Gleason (the paralysed former football player the ice bucket challenge was all about) where it follows him to a faith healer on the orders of his fundamentalist father in the belief it will cure him. Gleason, who can just about walk at this point, goes up to the front, the preacher does the whole "Christ compels you" act, and he tries to run whereupon he collapses in a heap. It was incredibly offensive, and I felt for his wife who was plainly furious.

Jim, rynner2 and escargot1 like this.
  16. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Disabled Daughter of U.S. Faith Healers Wants to See Her Parents Prosecuted

Mariah Walton was born with a small hole in her heart. It could have been fixed with a relatively low-risk procedure when she was still a child, but her parents, devout Mormons, did nothing. They believed that through acts of faith, including lots of prayer, God would heal Mariah.

It’s an odd position, considering that, in their world, the Almighty created her, birth defect and all. Why would you beseech God, who is supposedly omniscient and has the perfect plan for everything and everyone in the cosmos, to undo what He knowingly created?

But that’s mere logic, and logic isn’t something that holds sway over most believers.

For some unfathomable reason, praying did nothing for Mariah (pictured). Now, at 20, her health is as bad as it’s ever been. She’s permanently disabled thanks to pulmonary hypertension. A respirator and an oxygen tank go everywhere she does.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...-healers-wants-to-see-her-parents-prosecuted/

escargot1 likes this.
  17. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Now THAT deserves the oft-cited Larkin quote.

rynner2 and escargot1 like this.
  18. Jim

Jim Great Old One

I believe in a the creator (I prefer to call him Lord), however. But these misguided idiots are responsible for the girls death. I don't see why they aren't put on trial!

ramonmercado likes this.