English Riots August 2011

Discussion in 'Mainstream News Stories' started by Quake42, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field
    I'm surprised there isn't already a thread on this. Worrying stuff, especially for those of us living in inner London boroughs...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14439970

(stu edit - title altered to reflect spread of disturbances)

2. James_H2

James_H2 Great Old One

Yes it looks big

I've actually been out of London, and I'm going back today - lots of this is not so very far from where I live.

The media seems a little unclear on what actually has been going on, apart from the usual 'peaceful protest derailed by a small violent element' line.

3. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Yes. In fairness I think that the disturbances outside of Tottenham have nothing whatsoever do with the police shooting and everything to do with people wanting free tellies and trainers.

I think the police in Tottenham were very naive on Saturday evening - a demo outside a police station, about a police shooting and on a hot August night was always likely to turn violent. They seem to have been unprepared.

4. colinbaker32

colinbaker32 Yeti

5. Moooksta

Moooksta Muppet

What's very worrying is that five days after the event we still have no real details of what took place on Thursday night when Duggan was shot, other than the IPCC were there within hours? And lack of details is sending the rumour mill wild.

Delete where truthful:-
    i] Duggan did not open fire though did carry a handgun.
    ii] The bullet lodged in the police radio is police issue.
    iii] Tottenham's peaceful protest turned violent after an officer took a baton to seventeen year old girl.

At the other end of the city are bankers wiping shares of billions and still receiving bonuses for that work. And a £2million cycle track.

And through all this our leaders, who normally jump at the chance to appear in a newspapers stay strangely quiet, distancing themselves from the press in the wake of Hackgate. Except of course Boris who couldn't get Duggan's name right.

I abhor all violence and have no doubt if Duggan hadn't been shot they'd have been another catalyst to kick off these events.

Martin Luther King said, if you create a society where a large segment of it feel they play no part and have no stake in it they unconsciously want to destroy it. [/b]

6. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

(ii) I think has been confirmed. I believe it has also been confirmed that Duggan was armed, but may not have opened fire - it has been suggested that the gun was hidden in a sock and remain so. (iii) has not been independently confirmed.

Regardless, it's hard to see how burning people's homes and businesses, or smashing up the Brixton branch of Nandos, has anything to do with Duggan's shooting.

7. Yithian

Yithian Cloud-Sculptor of Coral D Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Re: London riots

I did think about starting one as soon as the reports started coming in. But...

a) So little is known for sure about the shooting that there isn't much to be said other than rioting and looting are wrong. I've read a rumour on Liberal Conspiracy that the dead man was heavily involved in organised crime but have no way of knowing whether it's true. Edit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... e-gun.html - doesn't mean he should be shot without just cause, of course.

b) It's really rather depressing to think this is happening in the UK again.

c) The altogether predictable political lines have already been drawn it seems:

Livingstone says it's the cuts, Thatcher and the Tories; David Lammy (the constituency MP) says there are violent elements outside the community coming in to cause trouble (nobody wants to attack their own constituents - it's electoral suicide); the left wing are proffering insights about life on the fringes that 'aren't justifications' but sound suspiciously like justifications to me (the coalition's abolition of the EMA has even been dragged it!); the right-wing want to flog the whole feral postcode and won't hear any mitigation; the fascists are explaining that this is what happens when you let the blacks into your country; and the communists have put it about that looting and theft are a radical redistribution of wealth in a ossified society, while the burning and destruction are the screams of the voiceless.

Edit2: Actually, having just watched David Lammy's statement in full (and having for years thought he was an idiot), he has struck the right tone here, to my ears. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14436001

8. Cultjunky

Cultjunky Justified and Ancient

There's been very little coverage regarding this really, when you consider the kind of blanket coverage we have come to expect from the TV news channels. The thing that surprises me is the missing voice of doom from the Police, talking about officer number reductions, just a brief mention of an ill prepared force the following night.

But look on the bright side, SuperMay has returned, and Cameron has forestalled another riot by returning to tip his waitress. Phew!

9. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

There were suggestions last night that the Met had requested a media blackout - although this was subsequently denied in Scotland Yard's Twitter feed.

I must be getting more right wing with age, but this just seems blatant criminality - people helping themselves to TVs and stereos. The most inexplicable angle is the way the police appear to have stood by and made no effort to apprehend looters walking only yards away from them. Very, very odd.

10. titch

titch Justified and Ancient

The Tottenham riot happened where i lived for years , and still pass by every day, (apart from today cause my bus was diverted) the broadwater farm riot was caused by social deprivation sparked off by racist policing,this riot was purely thugs out to cause trouble.

The RUMOUR is that duggan was a gang leader , heavily into drugs dealing and had convictions for robber, gbh and rape, how true any of that is i have no idea.

11. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Well he clearly wasn't a choirboy, but that doesn't mean the police handled the shooting properly. Regardless, I don't see that the subsequent looting was linked to Duggan's death in any meaningful way.

12. Moooksta

Moooksta Muppet

I'm in Palmer's Green at the moment working.

Just popped out to get a coffee and found the high street with closed shops, all the shutters are down. S'not even 4pm.

I guess it could be precautionary given the how close Tottenham and Enfield are but a worrying sight nonetheless.

13. James_H2

James_H2 Great Old One

I've just got home to London and it feels fairly certain that something's going to kick off in Hackney Central, all the shops are closed, there are a lot of riot vans and sirens, and hundreds of people milling out - it all feels very tense.

Am definitely staying in tonight.

14. titch

titch Justified and Ancient

The shop my best friends daughter works in at Edmonton (Enfield) closed up at 4, fear there may be more trouble soon. :(

15. Yithian

Well, London-based Forteans, keep your doors locked and your heads down; unless, of course, you can get some good photos and post them on the board when it all kicks off.

16. Cultjunky

Cultjunky Justified and Ancient

Looks like it's kicking off in Hackney, well, the police line moved forward 10 paces, keep your head down James.

17. Yithian

18. James_H2

James_H2 Great Old One

Yep watching it on BBC news, terrifying. I can see the same helicopters out of the window as on the live feed!

19. Yithian

20. Moooksta

Moooksta Muppet

Lewisham has started as well now....

...though.....

Boris is on his way home! He's announced it in time for the six o'clock news!