Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There be spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by Mighty_Emperor, May 27, 2006.

1. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

Some people performing some epic Dr Who music ..

Tigerhawk likes this.
  2. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

3. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

It's simple, it's fun, it's The Pilot. Thank heavens Bill wasn't as annoying as she seemed in the trailer, I was warming to her in minutes. Nice, uncomplicated introduction for her, bit of a raw deal for poor old Heather, though. The rumours are that Bill is a series long companion, so will be ditched at the regeneration, but we'll see I suppose. On this evidence, the plan is for a bunch of one-off stories each episode, with less of the arc. We'll also see how that works out - can Moffatt resist? Anyway, very pleased to have it back.

min_bannister and sherbetbizarre like this.
  4. Tigerhawk

Tigerhawk Great Old One

My concern is the Vault - please don't let it be a repeat of The Pandorica! The last thing we need is a Time Lord In A Box That Isn't The Tardis!

5. Anome

Anome Bibliomancer

http://www.hazinf.net/
    TWITTER:
    Anome
    I have a thought. If it is a Time Lord in the vault, it's probably the Master. Just not sure which one.

More likely to be something else, though.

My other idea will be spoilered, just in case people don't want to know.
    Much is being made of Bill leaving after one series. Not that big a deal, since most of them only lasted one series.
    What I think will happen is they will meet up with Heather again, and this time Bill will go with her. Happy ending for everyone, except maybe the Doctor, but I'm sure he'll approve.

Anyway, that's just my theory.

6. Shadowsot

Shadowsot Phantom

Yeah, I like your idea under the spoiler.
    The Master being in the vault appeals to me, might also be related to the classic series style Cybermen we've seen in the trailers.

7. BlackPeter

BlackPeter Ancient Badger

I think it really has to be a female doctor this time - Olivia Colman anybody?

8. stuneville

stuneville No pleasing some people Staff Member

They have taken pains to make gender swap an option vis-a-vis regeneration. Look at a) Missy and b) that one in the last series who was regenerated in battle right in front of us.

I've seen Hayley Atwell mentioned a few times, which would make me happy in all manner of ways. Professionally she's free for a bit apparently, too.. Olivia would be fab though. Based on "Line of Duty" Thandie Newton would be wonderful, alien enough and unpredictable, but Westworld has got her soul for the time being. Tilda Swinton is too flaky.

If it's to be a chap though, please don't make it Kris Marshall. We've tried slightly gormless, puppy-like oddball brilliance before with Matt Smith and despite his Herculean effort it didn't work. Marshall's great at what he does but this ain't it.

9. Shadowsot

Shadowsot Phantom

Goes back before that, the Doctor's Wife had a mention of the Corsair in passing and switchong genders. I think it was the Corsair.

10. Tigerhawk

Tigerhawk Great Old One

It was the Corsair...

11. Anome

Anome Bibliomancer

TWITTER:
    Anome
    The ladies of the Verity! podcast have had the same idea as me, or at least one or two of them did. Which makes me happy in a strange, sort of vicarious way.

Hadn't considered the Cybermen might be connected to the vault, although we've had vaults full of Cybermen before. Also, isn't the vault supposed to have Time-Lord style reliefs (circles and clocks, etc) on it, suggesting it's something they want hidden? The Cybermen were never really the threat to Gallifrey that the Daleks were.
    I don't know. I like Olivia Colman, but not sure I want her as the Doctor this time out. As for Ms Atwell, well that would make me really uncomfortable. I don't want to think of the Doctor that way.

What I've been hoping for is that they get someone no-one is expecting. Doesn't matter if it's a man, a woman, what colour they are, whether they have an extra leg and a unicorn horn, just as long as it's someone no-one has put forward on one of those "Here are 10 people we insist play the next Doctor or we'll cry!" lists. All I require is that they can act well enough to play the Doctor. (Keeping in mind some bits are relatively constant, and other bits need to be new and fresh.) What I don't want is a badly written or poorly acted Doctor. I also worry that we'll be subjected to lazy writing with cheap gags about "Ooh, the Doctor's got tits, now!" Hopefully Chibnall will stop that kind of thing getting into the scripts.

12. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Justified and Ancient

Swifty likes this.
  13. Shadowsot

Shadowsot Phantom

Yeah, I actually like Capaldi and Smith a lot, but the scripts have not been the best. Gender is apparently fluid for Gallifreyans and so shouldn't be a big deal.
    And I say that as someone who would prefer a male doctor.
    As far as Cybermen, it may not be that they are the main items in the vault but part of something in or to do with the vault. A sealed moment in time, or a paradox where the Doctor can interact with his own time line.
    There are rumors if the first Doctor showing up, and references to Susan in this season.
    Might be to an alternate reality, where the Doctor was never stolen away by the TARDIS.
    Otherwise, I think the point of this series will be to clear up some of his angst before the new team takes over.

14. Anome

Anome Bibliomancer

TWITTER:
    Anome
    The Nerdist website has an interesting idea on the 13th Doctor, claiming sources in the know, but admitting the BBC are keeping shtum. Not someone I've heard of, but could be an interesting pick. Although I'm still hoping it turns out to be someone else, just so everyone making claims looks silly.

15. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified and Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
  16. Tigerhawk

Tigerhawk Great Old One

Do you think it's because the Doctor regenerates into Susan?!:rofl:

17. Peripart

Peripart Justified and Ancient

For about the 10th time on this thread, may I say that I really want the next Doctor to be Paul McGann! He's done nothing wrong, and surely deserves another go. And why not - if the Doctor can re-use Tom Baker's face, why not another?

18. drbastard

drbastard Chaote

The BBC are determined to have a black, female, gay, (or preferably all three) person for the role next. In that respect McGann has about as much chance as I do.

Dinobot likes this.
  19. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

They already have a black, female, gay companion, so I don't think they'd go that far, it would look a bit samey.

20. Shadowsot

Shadowsot Phantom

I do think it's more likely the next Doctor will be male. As far as his orientation, well he has not really been portrayed strictly straight since the revival. Though maybe Jack is just that much of a beast.
    The companions and the plot is where the social stuff gets worked in, for good or ill.