Day of the Animals

Discussion in 'Fortean News Stories' started by ninja_cat, Jan 18, 2002.

1. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Yep. In the land of Robin Hood it has been illegal to kill any wild animal with a bow since s.11 (1)(b) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

maximus otter

Swifty likes this.
  2. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

3. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

What ecosystem do you think would be upset, given their preferred diet is deer which have to be culled anyway to stop them getting out of hand. They're not talking about releasing hundreds, just a few.

With your other examples, David Plankton said it in post 3316. And beavers - have they proved an ecological disaster or out-competed & had a negative effect on any native species? Other than some land owners who may object to some of their land being slightly flooded, I haven't heard any negative reports at all. On the contrary, beaver activity seems to increase & have a beneficial effect on bio diversity, if that's of any value.

A friend of mine is a canal user & tells me that some of the community are extremely down on otters, yes otters. They're becoming a bit more common & anglers don't like them as they eat fish, & canal boaters don't like them as they can burrow into the banks. Little furry bastards. He's quite anti them himself even though he's never had any otter related troubles as far as I know.

Any release would be a limited time experiment. If it all goes tits up, the Lynx start eating people, sheep & generally running amok, it would be ended. They will be radio collared & trackable so can be recaptured or shot in the worst case. I don't see anything too disastrous about it. Who knows, it could just go well, they keep the deer population down somewhat & you never see them..

4. plastic wiganer

plastic wiganer Devoted Cultist

some bad language - if it offends

hunck likes this.
  5. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

1. Predators are a bit like me: lazy. My preferred diet would be pizza, Ben & Jerry's and cabernet sauvignon, but that would be difficult. Accordingly, I eat what's easy, e.g. what I find left in the fridge. If lynx find that chasing and dragging down deer is a ball-ache, Tibbles, Fido and Shaun the Sheep are going to look a lot easier...

2. One word for you: reproduction. Two become four, four become eight, eight become a PITA. With nothing predating on them, food on tap plus legal protection, even my limited maths skills can predict problems.

3. Their offspring won't be.

maximus otter

6. Coal

Coal Sure, we're all wrong. Makes complete sense.

And like you he missed the point. I illustrated the negative effect of non-native animal releases. Whether they were intentional or not was beside the point. We can add wild boar to the list btw and coypu.

Sure and the land owners don't count? You'd be OK if your garden was flooded by beavers?

Migratory fish will inevitably be affected by beaver dams, salmon are already under pressure, it won't help to have beavers block the spawning runs. What about lampreys (declining populations)? Sea-trout? Eels (already under pressure)? Anyone checked?

Beavers are cute and visible though so that's all right and who cares about 'land owners'?

Not without references it's not. Where is this independent study showing how bio-diversity has improved after the reintroduction of beavers? Where's the follow up study?

I'm not sure what otters have got to do with this. They've never actually been eradicated. While some consider that too many may have been reintroduced without paying sufficient attention to whether the habitat can support them, I've no idea if this is true.

It is the case, that despite all the fluff about otters and their occasional presence in two waters I help manage, I've yet to see one...and we've only ever lost the odd fish. Meh.

I can tell you, whatever some fishermen say about otters, that the only organisation that activity pursues and sues water polluters is the Angling Trust. Not Greenpeace, not eco-warriors, not the EA and certainly not the beaver introducers. The Angling Trust. Paid for by anglers.

Once the genie is out of the bottle it's out. The idea that lynx would only eat deer is flawed. They'll take easier slower prey if available, such as sheep, pigs, calves and so on. Tracking sounds nice, but it's fallible (as is the equipment itself, I design electronics and I can attest to this, and I guarantee no-one is spending big bucks on rock solid high reliability electronics for this, even if they knew what that was) and tracking is being used as justification for a notion supported by a dream with little regard for the consequences and certainly no responsibility for them. There is no rational justification for introducing lynx. None zero. Nada. It's an necessary ego trip.

There are plenty of ecological problems in the UK that need serious hands-on work. Water pollution, sewage discharge license abuse, declining insect life, eutrophication (caused by agricultural practices), river abstraction leading to loss of bio-diversity at all levels, bee population decline. Or are those not high profile enough?

We bloody don't need lynx and beavers, we need the above examples dealt with by committed people otherwise there'll be sod-all for us, never mind the lynx and beavers, to live in.

Mythopoeika likes this.
  7. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    That one you're holding up looks like it'd make a fine meal or two.

8. GingerTabby

GingerTabby Carbon-based life form

Min Bannister likes this.
  9. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

The biggest moth in the world .. until a bigger moth is found ..

"Attacus Atlas (the Atlas Moth) is a large saturnid moth found in the tropical and sub tropical forests of Southeast Asian and is common across the Malay archipelag" so I'm told .. I like him.

10. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Devoted Cultist

And the lesson here is: You don't mess with a Sydney Real Estate Agent. They're bound to be the biggest predator in any pool...

Video at the link: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/a...t-of-cronulla-ocean-pool-20171010-gyyct7.html

11. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

Man messes about with fish. Fish jumps down mans' throat and nearly kills him. Man okay in end. Fish status unknown.

Dover sole jumps down mans throat in Bournemouth.

Swifty, GingerTabby and ramonmercado like this.
  12. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

ROME (AP) — An Italian librarian who says her English setter is her family has won the right from her employer to use family sick leave to care for her ailing pet instead of having to use vacation days.

Italian animal advocacy group LAV says it helped persuade public La Sapienza University to let her use two days’ family sick leave to care for 12-year-old Cucciola.

LAV president Gianluca Felicetti says in a statement that anyone who obtains a veterinarian’s certificate should enjoy the same benefit, citing Cucciola’s case as precedent.

The woman said Cucciola is recovering well from surgery for a breast tumor and a larynx problem. The woman, who is single and has no family help for Cucciola, declined to be identified. She had adopted Cucciola, found abandoned in a Rome park.

https://apnews.com/b0bef01291b5444d...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities

GingerTabby likes this.
  13. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

New Zealand's 'Bird of the Year' poll has been hit by vote-fixing claims for the second time in three years.

The prestigious, and, some would say, heated competition is run by the country's Forest and Bird organisation, and has run into controversy just three days after its launch, Newshub reports.

It appears that one unnamed Christchurch citizen has been flouting the "one person, one vote" rule by setting up 112 email accounts to cast votes for a certain avian variety.

Wellington-based scientist Yvan Richard spotted the apparent fraud using a program that he had previously used to follow elections. "I noticed there was a big spike for the white-faced heron at about midnight on the first day of voting, so I let Forest and Bird know," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-41581374

14. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

It's that age old story .. man catches fish, man kisses fish for photo, fish jumps down mans throat and causes him to have a cardiac arrest ..

The man's apparently OK now, we don't know if the fish is ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41598493

15. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

I almost exactly said that three posts above! :p

Swifty likes this.
  16. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

Holy Shit ! .. sorry, I didn't spot your post Min X :oops::p

Min Bannister likes this.
  17. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Looking for a stag party?

SPRING LAKE, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a deer crashed through a window of a western Michigan medical office, ran through it and out another window.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department says the deer was last seen running across a street Thursday afternoon after leaving Lakeshore Family Care in Spring Lake, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of Grand Rapids.

Medical assistant Marcia Jones tells the Grand Haven Tribune she was preparing to give a 61-year-old woman a flu shot when the deer came crashing through a window. Jones says she left the examining room and the buck followed her out.

https://apnews.com/343566c8916d47e2...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities

Swifty likes this.
  18. Vardoger

Vardoger Skeptical by nature

19. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
  20. hunck

When I got up this morning I found a fox snoozing on my rockery at 8am. It noticed me in the kitchen making breakfast but didn't budge. I left it there & went to work. Still there now still snoozing at 3.15pm. This is in a tiny town garden all of 15' long.

21. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

It might not be well. Whenever I see a fox sleeping in my garden, any hint that I might be watching it or going outside and it flees.

GingerTabby and Swifty like this.
  22. hunck

That did cross my mind, or maybe it had been injured by a car or something.

It was still there at 7pm when I went out for the eve but when I got back around midnight it had vacated the premises & gone about it's foxy night-time business.

23. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Badger discovered asleep in cat bed in Linlithgow
    Image captionThe badger ate all the cat food in the kitchen before settling down
    A sleepy badger was caught napping in a cat bed in a house in Linlithgow.

The badger entered the kitchen through a cat flap and filled up on cat food before going to sleep in the soft bed.

The Scottish SPCA was called to the house at Beecraigs Country Park on Wednesday and an officer was able to persuade the badger to leave of its own accord.

The charity said it was unusual behaviour for badgers, which are usually shy animals, to enter a home.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-41683405

GingerTabby, Min Bannister and Swifty like this.
  24. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

I'm not sure Goldilocks is a natural name for a badger! :roll:

25. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    This could also fit in "Strange sex" and "Fortean art". Maybe it's a hoax:
    http://marginalrevolution.com/margi...opology-culture-slovenia-whos-complacent.html

A Slovenian artist breastfed her dogs and fertilized one of her eggs with a dog cell as part of an award-winning three-month art project. She also produced a video documenting the creative process behind the bizarre venture.
    Maja Smrekar lived in seclusion with her dogs as part of the lengthy artistic experiment, which was titled “K-9_topology.”

26. Jim

Jim Ephemeral Spectre

Some may find this of interest?

Swifty and ramonmercado like this.
  27. skinny

skinny _.~~Blackstar~~._

Swifty and ramonmercado like this.