David Blaine - How does he do that?

Discussion in 'General Forteana' started by Anonymous, May 7, 2002.

1. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified and Ancient

Good post, thank you.

Coal, Ermintrude and Swifty like this.
  2. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

Agreed .. great post .. the devil is in the detail. It's all prep, the same as F/X make up tricks or a magician sawing a lady in half, you have to drum up the drama .. when I was a little lad, my Dad was friends with an old fellow who could suddenly grab a 50p coin from behind my ear .. of course it was in his hand already the whole time but he'd realise I'd know that if he didn't do a bit of acting before, during and afterwards :cool:. I performed the same 'trick' on the Son of a lady who comes into our shop and immediately afterwards deliberately started talking about something else to his Mum ..... she told me later that they'd both spotted me in Norwich and he'd said "Look ! .. there's the magic man !" and she thanked me for doing it :) ..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Frideswide and Ermintrude like this.
  3. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Existential pixelfixer

I certainly don't want to take anything away from what David Blaine does, when watching it as a live artform. I am not one of these people that shouts solutions during the show. But I most certainly am one of these people that takes nothing at face value (I can't: I view people who do, of any age, as fools). But I do enjoy seeing an expertly-delivered trick/illusion.

I've seen Derren live, many times, and met him twice....not only is he good, he's vastly-better off-camera than on.

To quote Derren "I am often dishonest in my techniques, but always honest about my dishonesty....I mix magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship... I happily admit cheating, as it's all part of the game"

Of course, it's slightly-more complicated than that, sometimes, to keep us on our toes. There are occasions where you don't get given the technique, and you cannot discern the solution yourself, no matter how hard you try.

But there still is one.

EDIT
    One of my ambitions is to see David Blaine live, or better still, right up close. It won't ever happen, but it's a nice idea

Frideswide likes this.
  4. Coastaljames

I feel exactly the same. I absolutely adore magic tricks and slight of hand. Fascinating. The way we can all be so easily be led down the garden path to believe something that's not only unbelieveable but indeed, didn't actually happen. Very clever. And these guys (not too many girls so far, sadly) are incredibly brilliant at that they do. And cracking entertainment - which is the point :) it's all a show.

Frideswide, Ermintrude and Swifty like this.
  5. Ermintrude

Definitely. One of the cleverest of David Blaine's tricks is the illusion that this happened.........[​IMG]
    ......almost 14 years ago!

It feels as if he stepped-out of that box, after his 44 days, only just last year. But it was a loong time ago.

There's a lack of these kinds of grandstanding mega-fantastic stunts, these days. I wonder if any of the 'DBs' (David Blaine, Derren Brown, Dynamo Boy) will ever again do a biggie spectacle event? Perhaps they just need to be asked.

Wow: imagine what a treble would be like....

Coastaljames and FrKadash like this.
  6. Coastaljames

Trick being the key word- obviously.

He had some kind of nutritional input in there. Again- obviously. Presumably the key was the "water" he was allowed. The key to most of these tricks is Occam's Razor. It's how this is achieved which is the fun/clever bit.

:D

Not so sure I like the big stunts. I also abhor the "street" stuff that relies on fake bystanders and dodgy camerawork/editing, as much of it does. That always feels a complete cop-out.

Peripart likes this.
  7. Peripart

Peripart Justified and Ancient

I agree. Although it's arguably the most artificial setting, I'd suggest that traditional stage magic is the most "authentic" sort. That, and close-up sleight of hand.

Stunts of the kind that Blaine & co perform leave me cold, and the fake "street" stuff is almost disrespectful to the art. Yes, of course it's all a trick, but I want to be tricked honestly by my television conjurors. If the trickery lies in how the stunt is filmed, then it's no fun at all. For me, the joy is not just in being delighted by the show, but in looking at the musician's hands, at his props, and trying to guess what's going on.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. Coastaljames

That's what I was trying to say but couldn't articulate it as well as you! Thanks.

Frideswide, escargot1 and Ermintrude like this.
  9. Swifty

Penn Jillette defending David Blaine .... at first

10. Coastaljames

^ Fascinating listen. Penn is always a brilliantly intelligent person.

Frideswide, Ermintrude and Swifty like this.
  11. Swifty

I remember reading somewhere that he (Penn) once rescued/bought a monkey that had been raised for medical experimentation that had previously been taught to smoke .. he used to buy packs of cigarettes for it and kept it at his home .. he's an interesting bloke .. I'd like FT to lay off the Crowley for a while and do more articles on Penn.

12. Coastaljames

Most definitely mate. Very interesting. I'm not always sold on his peculiarly-American brand of extreme-libertarian politics or staunch opposition to religion but I don't need to be. I like the cut of his jib and he's always worth listening to. Bloody good stage magician too...Teller even better but a great team.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Frideswide likes this.
  13. escargot1

escargot1 Justified and Ancient

He bought the monkey cigarettes, really? I hope he saw sense and sent it to a sanctuary.

I do like Penn although TV 'magic' generally leaves me cold. Techy likes it but I tell him it's all TV tricks and special effects, not good old honest, personally deceptive sleight of hand. David Blaine draws particular scorn, with his carefully-edited segments of screaming reactions.

Frideswide and davidplankton like this.
  14. Ermintrude

Yes, over-produced and synthetic, like the vast majority of everything you'll ever watch watch from any mainstream source.

I'm aware that Derren's "no stooges or camera tricks" statement may have become somewhat-diluted over recent years (hoping to be contradicted on that point) but, that particular operating maxim is extremely unusual, nowadays.

I detect that Dynamo banks on his edgy streetness to act as a permanent (and substantially-effective) counterpoint to anyone that awakens from the spell of "TV? Well, that proves it must be real".

And the likes of Copperfield....he's so kitsch, it wouldn't surprise me if he's subjected to a full frame-capture greenscreen composite even just when he goes to the loo....

Frideswide and Coastaljames like this.
  15. Coastaljames

Good post. It's interesting to hear Penn talking about the difference between a "trick", I think that's how he describes it, and a "stunt". I was disappointed that Brown pretty much admitted that his Russian Roulette thing was...as stunt.

Big on stooges and camera-tricks it seems. Not that worth watching for me.

Frideswide, Ermintrude and escargot1 like this.
  16. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

On iPlayer at the moment is an episode of The Good Old Days that ends with Rolf Dinardi doing his "fill the stage with flowers" trick. It's amazing not so much for the technique, more for the sheer volume of it. Sadly there isn't a good version on YouTube, or I'd link to it. Anyway, do that trick, Mr Blaine, and then I'm interested.

Frideswide, Coal and Ermintrude like this.
  17. Swifty

David Blaine spoof pt4

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Ermintrude and Mythopoeika like this.
  18. Ermintrude

I saw this recently rebroadcast via BBC4 (the show also had an odd segment done by the late, great Les Dawson). Agreed, Dinardi relies upon sheer numerical superiority- fantastical flower-power.

But where the hell do they all come from? That big lidded box, but exactly how?

The farce is strong with this one.....super-silly shtick-sync. Unless maybe....he is The One, and he's just playing with us. Lulling us into a false sense of humour....mmm, no.

escargot1 likes this.
  19. Vardoger

Vardoger Skeptical by nature

Superstitious people think the new magicians are for real, controlled by demons.

20. escargot1

escargot1 Justified and Ancient

You mean Americans believe this? Brits just think they're show-offs in silly jackets.

Ermintrude likes this.