Dark Side Of The Rainbow (Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz )

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by Anonymous, Jun 27, 2002.

1. AsamiYamazaki

AsamiYamazaki Great Old One

YAHOO:
    asami_odishon
    Because NTSC and PAL have different speeds (US movies are always a little bit shorter or longer than UK - I can't remember which way round) does that mean that everyone who's been having their cosmic pink floyd experiences have been having different ones depending on which side of the atlantic they're on?

Edited to add that the running time of VHS was definitely different but don't know whether it also affects DVD (and can't be bothered to dig out my two different region copies of Tenebre to check).

2. Moooksta

Moooksta Muppet

NTSC = 30 frames (or 29.7 frames per second)
    Pal = 24 frames per second.

Actually the difference in running times would be miniscule because it's still "per second". The time difference you have in Tenebrae may just be the watered down version for British shores is shorter! Or given the hard right of the US maybe it's the other way around!

But I stick with my original...sheer coincidence. The BAND deny it!

Where does the origin of the myth come from if the band deny it? Some tripped out hippie me thinks, or possibly the school playground of the seventies?

mooks out

3. graylien

graylien Justified and Ancient

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.co.uk/
    Well, maybe it was even some kind of pre-internet viral marketing campaign designed to make non-Floyd fans buy the album out of sheer curiosity to see if it really did synchronise with Oz. Although I don't think video recorders were that common in 1973 - so that theory's probably a non-starter.

4. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
    Did this rumour really start in the 70's?

I thought it only came about in the last 10 years?

5. AsamiYamazaki

AsamiYamazaki Great Old One

YAHOO:
    asami_odishon
  6. Moooksta

Moooksta Muppet

I said I'd imagine it started in the playgrounds of the seventies...but if it only started in the last ten years I'll acquiesce!

Where did it start? Around the time the video recorder and The Wall album became common place in many "students" digs...perhaps 1979, 1980. You just come up on your "trip"", the "freak out" is "happening" but now you need to take it to the next level. Slam on the new invention the Beta cassette player, pop on your copy of Wizard of Oz tape and put on Floyd's other album. DSOM. "MAAAAHHHNN it's like happening together mahn, the pics, the sound!". Years later referred to as "that night round Johnnies it was like weird mahn!"

Aha what's this I see...nah it's just a coincidence.

(You young 'uns may need to ask the oldies what beta was...and video tape for that matter)

mooks out :roll:

7. morningstar667

morningstar667 Great Old One

Weeeell the first time I saw this sync trick done was in 1975. A 16mm version of Wiz of oz projected onto the far end garage wall with PF on the hifi, done by a mates older brother. Far out and all that.

I recommend Tangerine Dreams Ricochet for the first 40 mins. of Altered States then try Yes -Close to the Edge for the rest. 8)

8. Moooksta

Moooksta Muppet

Re The sync when watching a US version versus a UK version. The USA version runs 101 minutes, the UK version runs 98 minutes. Most of those pointing out this sync have done so on US websites. If you use a UK version you have to speed the album by 4.16%.

David Gilmour flatly denied that the album was intentionally written to be synchronised with Oz - "Some guy with too much time on his hands had this idea with combining Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon ."
    And on an MTV special about Pink Floyd in 2002 , the band dismissed any relationship between the album and the movie as an accident, ARGUING that there were no means of reproducing the film in the studio at the time they recorded the album.

Waters was not the producer of the album. Alan Parsons was, he would have been instrumental at syncing up the sound effects. The heartbeats and the cash registers make up two of the "hits" between the album and the movie, so he would have had to be a part of any plan to make the two coincide. Yet he has denied any connection to the movie.

Rick Wright is the one who came up with the original "rainbow" idea for the album cover, not Waters (Wright has denied any link to the movie).

However...if you play the album a second time, again syncing the first heartbeat with cowardly lion’s three roars before he appears.
    some devotees believe that in order to achieve the greatest synch for the second play of Dark Side of the Moon, the viewer must again begin the CD with the lions roar. This time the roar is that of the Cowardly Lion, who roars three times before making his initial appearance. The heartbeats sync with two distinct scenes in the movie. The first is Dorothy and the Scarecrow listen for the Tinman's heart and the second as the Wizard himself is handing the Tinman his heart.

Apparently the second disc of Pink Floyd’s The Wall also syncs quite well if you begin it straight after DSOM. “Meddle” is another album that syncs. DSOM also syncs with the original version of The Lord of the Rings. Wish You Were Here syncs with Bladerunner apparently.

It’s synchronicity , described by Jung as a phenomenon in which coincidental events "seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality”. You see the things that match and ignore those that don't. What about the hundreds or thousands of things that don't match? Why ignore them?

I read a bit here which lead to hereI’m not reading anymore on the subject, it’s coincidence. Still think Floyd are the dogs BTW!

mooks out

9. skinny46

skinny46 Phantom

You speaka my language, companero. I've got a video of footage of 9/11 which I recorded during the event when I was in Korea. When I roll DSotM in synch with it, the effect is stunning. The shrieks, mad laughter, running footsteps are spookily in synch with the footage from the terrorist attacks and the panic of the people on the streets of NY. Freakiest part is when Money comes on, it fits exactly where I recorded the world stock markets on CBS business channel. The endless red 'stock dropping' arrows flash onto the screen right in time to the 7/8 time sig of Money. Stocks going down down d down right in time with the beat of the song.

Coincidence? Sure, but that piece of music is universal in its appeal. It's a work of genius that has resonance and relevance to so much in life..

10. skinny

skinny 4th in The Olympics

Words of wysdom, skinhead. Words of Wyz Dum.

Why is it that there is no Pink Floyd music thread on FT yet? The travesty. I call one forth. Let There Be More Light!

11. sherbetbizarre

http://punchbaby.com/2014/04/the-flamin ... -together/

12. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified and Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
    The thing is.....if you play any pretty much any music with the telly on at the same time you'll notice odd coincidences and synchronous moments all the time.

It would have been an impressive technical feat for its time, as mentioned above there were no home video players around. I suppose you could argue that a projector was used.....

Most music is created using a series of rules (beats, timings) and film and video editors also work to visual cues in the same way, cutting to the tempo of the score for example. I'm guessing that this is responsible for some of the coincidences at least.

13. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

As any aging stoner will tell you, synching the music centre with a silent TV provided many synchronous moments where you'd swear it was the natural soundtrack. But not in my flat. Oh no.... we had the TV upside down. Wrestling was interesting as the CG needed for Spiderman had yet to be invented but it came pretty close. God...how Big Daddy stuck to that ceiling.

BTW - Carlos is totally right on video editing. Even if you don't intend to have a music track, edit to one. It provides a harmonious series of cuts and helps pace the thing.

14. sherbetbizarre

15. graylien

graylien Justified and Ancient

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.co.uk/
    I wouldn't agree with the author that DSOTM "doesn't have a tight cohesive structure". I think the album is beautifully structured, both musically and lyrically.

sherbetbizarre likes this.