Cumberland Spaceman

Discussion in 'Ufology' started by Anonymous, Jul 24, 2001.

1. CuriousIdent

CuriousIdent Not yet SO old Great Old One

Which second photo was this, Cochise?

2. Monstrosa

Monstrosa Justified & Ancient

3. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

You can see the spaceman really clearly in that photo!

Ermintruder likes this.
  4. bakelite brain

bakelite brain Junior Acolyte

Despite the case being cleared up (as far as I'm concerned anyway) it does throw up some interesting side notes.

1) That there were some convincing stories that the local photo development lab had decided to play a practical joke for some seemingly plausible reasons.
    2) That there were supposedly officials that took a great interest in the story.

Maybe this is just an example of how a good mystery generates and spreads its own memes.

5. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

Yes, that's the second photo to which I referred. It not only has the lady in it, again possibly unintentionally since there is only part of her, but also is again slightly on the tilt. Particularly noticeable both in this picture and the spaceman one is the cut of the dress around the lady's arm.

For me its 'case closed'.

Min Bannister and Ermintruder like this.
  6. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Maybe ... Or else the mystery figure is Annie - the other, older daughter everyone conveniently fails to mention.

The Templetons had two daughters at the time, and Templeton's early descriptions of the outing repeatedly indicated both daughters were there that day.

(See post #255 from 2012).

Ermintruder likes this.
  7. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

Good point, but whether it's mum or big sis in the pale blue dress (which looks vaguely like a white spacesuit when overexposed) it surely knocks on the head the whole spaceman mythos.

8. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

I think the antigravity / 'floating' mechanism is also revealed...it's also known as an upper grass slope in the rear of a picture, giving the perspective effect of implicit giants or jetpacks.

I was aways fascinated by the audacious alienness of the picture, which we (in our era, with our tropes) translate into being extraterrestrial instead of being an over-contrasted chemical process colour photograph of Mum's elbow.

I could never reconcile that damned illogical limb. For me, that opposed articulation was too much of an illusion eliminator.

Frideswide likes this.
  9. Andy X

Andy X Portent

Yes, I think this is the key sticking point: I don't believe the Templetons were lying, but that doesn't mean that Jim accidentally photographed a spaceman or other mysterious figure, non-human or otherwise.

I tend to think they were not lying about the MIB-type visit either, but that's just based on instinct / intuition. I've a pretty good track record of spotting liars a mile off. Certainly it's hard to imagine how inventing the mystery could do Mr T* anything but harm.

I'm assuming neither of the daughters has ever come forward with their version of the events?

*No, not that one, fool!​

Frideswide, Cochise and Ermintruder like this.
  10. bakelite brain

bakelite brain Junior Acolyte

For those new to this mystery, it's emplaned in post 289 on page 10 of this thread. Nothing sinister, just interesting. Also explained in this video:

11. Jayceedove

Jayceedove Devoted Cultist

www.ozfactorbooks.com
    Annie was there on the day and that was the reason Mrs Templeton was so adamant to me that it wasn't her in the shot in question. She said she was playing with her behind the camera actively to keep her out of shot at the point where Jim was trying to get a good image. The shot you see above is one of several where she said she was trying to stop her getting in the way. But she was pretty sure to me she never went behind or intruded into the shot in question.

Neither of the girls remembered anything particular about the day but were, of course, aware of the aftermath dimly.

As I have said before pretty obviously this never was a 'spaceman' and what the shot actually shows is really for me not that important as I have never considered it supernatural.

So - whilst I have reservations based on what the Templeton's told me repeatedly - I do see the possibility that she was the cause of the photo.

But the story for me here is the interest shown in it by (allegedly) the Ministry and the visit of the two men - which loosely we might term MIB.

It was that which caused me to get interested in this case enough to interview them at length, not the photo itself.

That interest - from whoever the visitors were - was fuelled by the photo and assumed links to the Blue Streak/Woomera launch. It really is fairly irrelevant that neither that link nor the status of the photo as paranormal are actually true.

That someone at the time thought it might be was what caused the visit and why I was so intrigued wanting to identify who the visitors were.

Whilst Nick Pope told me adamantly they could not be from the Ministry as visits on site never happened and so he insisted that they had to be rogue UFOlogists playacting or maybe just crackpots - I disagree.

I disagree because we KNOW he is wrong and the MoD did indeed visit witnesses in certain cases. Aside from all the other unproven cases where we just have the witnesses story but of the ones I have interviewed for my MIB book I am sure they were being honest - we have the two police officers - Alan Godfrey and Colin Perks - both of whom did not report visits to them by the MoD at the time because they both later told me they were asked not to under the Official Secrets Act which as police officers they had to sign.

Alan has now chosen to publicly reveal the story he told me in confidence years ago and which I verified via his sergeant (who was married to my cousin). And, whilst the Godfrey MoD file has gone AWOL like the Templeton one, the Perks file WAS released and does document that two men from the Ministry followed his sighting up and interviewed him on site and took away samples of a glassy material found beneath where he saw the UFO on the night. No analysis of that material was released.

So I am sure the two men did visit Jim Templeton and, despite Nick Pope's view, not convinced they could not have been from the MoD.

12. humanoidlord

humanoidlord ce3 researcher

nick redfern wrote several books in this subject, dint he?

13. CuriousIdent

CuriousIdent Not yet SO old Great Old One

I agree with posts above on the subject of 'Men from the Ministry'. That's far more interesting than the photo itself. The notion that somebody absolutely was taking it seriously. Because while the photo itself likely was just a passer by (or similar) caught in the back of a photograph at the wrong/right moment that suggests that, regardless, somebody believed that that image bore a striking enough resemblance to some other genuinely reported phenomena to warrant further official investigation.

That's a far more intriguing thing to know. :)

14. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

After all the discussion it does seem fairly obvious this was either Mrs Templeton or the sister....but I can't imagine how the Templeton's didn't realize this themselves all those years ago. It's hard to imagine they actually believed it was something weird.

Ermintruder likes this.