CLASSIC ARCHIVE MERGED: PAN(IC) IN THE WOODS

Discussion in 'It Happened to Me!' started by Anonymous, Sep 9, 2003.

1. nicnac168

nicnac168 New Member

MrTH,

re-reading this has reminded me of a very odd morning I spent in the area near Jays Grave. This was one mid week morning in May probably 1994. To give the background, my family were in the UK for a short holiday fitted around a work activity of my husband and visiting a few relatives.

We were based in a caravan park near Peter Tavy, one morning while Husband was working I was visiting MIL with our small children, the aim was for them to spend the day together whilst I did a bit of walking on the Moor.
    I was planning to do a short loop not far from Jays Grave- which spot I had always wanted to visit. I set off, parked up and saw grave ( no Gnomes) , then went a bit further and parked up in a lane near a farm to walk.

This is where it all goes a bit fuzzy, I remember following a signed path around the farm and then walking for about 40 minutes towards a low tor with some smallish trees and rocks on top, I was suddenly very thirsty and hot so sat on the sunny side to take a drink, looking across moor I realised that the high Tor I could see was Staple Tor,which it should not be. Taking the bearings I seemed to be about 10 minutes away from the farm I had started from. I could just see the path, gently curving towards the farm. My watch suggested I had been walking for 45 minutes, what or where I had I been for 30 minutes to get so hot and thirsty?.

I re packed and set off to walk around the low hill, to rejoin a second path which would take me to the end of lane where I had left the car. This was a shorter route than planned but I was really feeling a bit uncomfortable about the time I had been away. I recall being surprised at how quiet and windless it was. To cut a long story short I could not find the path down and ended up walking round the small hill two or three times more before giving up and going back to the farm. A kindly farmer asked if I was OK ( presumably he had seen me wandering round a hill top), I explained that Ii could not find my car, he laughed and offered a glass of water and a lift, it was about 5 minutes away.

I was grateful and rather embarrassed ( probably why I have not thought of this for years), how can anyone get lost on in such a small area, he seemed quietly amused by it all.

Obviously I did get home, Watch suggested I was walking for 3.5 hours, it felt a lot more, but according to MIL I was gone for about 4 hours. In reality I could not have been there for more than 2 to have been to Jays Grave and get to and from St Budeaux in the 4 hour time span

So in summary, a fairly experience map reader managed to get lost on a fine day less than half a mile from civilization and lost all sense of time.

Apologies for the length, but I have not thought about this for many years, I will have a look at maps over week end and see if I can find gridsquare.

MIL said I had been Pixy led and I should have put clothes inside out!

Nic

birdy, Cochise, Eponastill and 6 others like this.
  2. Zeke Newbold

Zeke Newbold Carbon based biped.

Random thinking aloud follows....

There is an area in West Siberia, in the Russian Federation, which some call the `Perm Triangle` (`Perrm Treyoogolnik`) located somewhere near the city of Perm. It is an area where people are said to get lost and wander about in circles and lose all sense of time - much as has been mentioned above. (I know of this place only through hearsay, but have spoken to one Russian whose relatives were caught in the Perm Triangle in this manner).

As for Mr TH's succulently creepy story: it put me in mind of the TV show Sherlock and the episode called `The Baskerville Hounds` (obviously an update on the much retold Conan-Doyle classic), I have not actually seen this myself, but am told that the `Hounds` are eventually explained as being hallucinations caused by the testing of chemical weapons taking place in the vicinity of Dartmoor. I don't wish to get the FBI onto me, but might this story be based on some sort of rumour...?

I am also put in mind of the wonderful Aussie film `Pic-Nic at Hanging Rock`. This probably deserves a thread of its own (and maybe has one) but my own research into it lead me to conclude that the novel it was based on was entirely fictional. Nevertheless there is that same sense of time being lost in the wilderness and of something ambiguous happening that nobody wants to talk about afterwards.

As for friends not getting back in touch on Facebook: I really feel that too much is being read into this.Facebook is Cold-Shoulder Central.The ease of communication that it offers makes people churlish and lazy and I find that it's easier to lose touch with people now than it was in the days of phone calls and hard copy letters! There are plenty of `old friends` who have not replied to attempts to re-establish ties, and some that I myself have not replied to. The reason? Sheer bloody laziness. Sending a message is so easy I can always do it tomorrow and tomorrow - until `tomorrow` becomes the Twelfth of Never....

And I wish - oh how I wish! -something strange would happen to me, for once! They say that when the student is ready the teacher appears. Well this `student` is sure as hell ready...where's the bloody teacher!?

ramonmercado likes this.
  3. davidplankton

davidplankton Justified and Ancient

Don't really know where to put this, it's not a sighting of Pan but of a Human-like entity with horses legs. Quite recent sightings too.
    Feel free to suggest a better location. Doesn't belong in Cryptozoology or Ghosts in my opinion.

The Horse Man of Bede.

Follow Up Article on the Horse Man.

JamesWhitehead and PeteByrdie like this.
  4. smokehead

smokehead Great Old One

Pan(ic) only happened to me once, on a glorious summer day at a boot sale, at Essington near Wolverhampton.
    Going down one line of stalls yet again after spending a couple of hours mooching, I wandered off for a smoke near a patch of heavily overgrown grass.
    How to describe the feeling? Fear, a sense of something not being right, wanting to get away. Just..... I dunno.
    As a fisherman I've spent plenty of time outdoors in rural places. Never had anything like that before.

davidplankton, Coal and PeteByrdie like this.
  5. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

Likewise, but I could list half-a-dozen places where I don't feel quite comfortable, where I always feel like something is a bit off.

smokehead likes this.
  6. smokehead

smokehead Great Old One

I've considered it was some reminder of a childhood memory, try as I might I can't think of anything related to it.
    It's bugging me that I can't nail down the feeling, I suppose the closest I can get is that I was appalled, an odd feeling in a field teeming with people and activity.
    But the why, complete mystery.
    I'm obviously now curious about your own experiences, if it's not intruding.

Mystereaux1 likes this.