Chatcull Old Hall

Discussion in 'Ghosts: General' started by titch, Dec 5, 2017.

1. titch

titch Justified & Ancient

A friend of a friend recently stayed at chatcull old hall and was frightened by pictures of orbs ( i know i know, i am just the reporter) noises of people walking in empty rooms, cold spots and a noise like somebody falling upstairs while everybody was downstairs. she has apparently been very shaken up by the events, but a quick google has not shown me any haunting there. does anybody know of the building and its history? or has anybody heard of any hauntings?

And i would like to know why this kind of things happen to people that get scared by it and not the people that go looking for them.

PeteS and Naughty_Felid like this.
  2. Coal

Coal Gentleman, scholar, acrobat.

That is weird. :rolleyes:

PeteS and Naughty_Felid like this.
  3. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

This place? http://www.cottages.com/cottages/chatcull-old-hall-rmz No mention of hauntings in the reviews. I love how one person says the house is a little "dated" though :rolleyes:

Mythopoeika and PeteS like this.
  4. titch

it is! i forgive your sarcasm, in my scabby eyes it's people like me, who sit all night in a "haunted" location,in the dark, HOPING and WANTING to see a ghost, or hear a ghostly knock who SHOULD see a ghost, real or imagined , but it's the holiday makers, out for a relaxing time who see them.

that's the one, i told my friend who told me of the events we should book it. She firmly and impolitely declined.

PeteS likes this.
  5. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

A friend stayed in a hotel near Chatcull that was very old and said she'd seen the ghost of a small car in the hotel courtyard. She's reckoned the ghost was from the time of Oliver Cromwell.

Perplexed I asked her why she thought it was from the English civil war period?

She said the ghost was a little Cavalier! :hapdan:

Spudrick68, Frideswide, PeteS and 4 others like this.
  6. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Ephemeral Spectre

So you name a place "Chatcull Old Hall" and wonder why strange things happen there?

PeteS and titch like this.
  7. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

“There was no mention of civil war, landmines, atrocities or machete mutilations in the pamphlet l received from the Rwandan Tourist Board.”

maximus otter

PeteS and Coal like this.
  8. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

Sounds like The Red Lion hotel in Cromer, I experienced all of those above things and more when I lived there for a year and eight months as their night porter including a woman falling down the stairs sound that was later 'verified' by a team of paranormal investigators. I never felt scared though, just not alone.

(the owner wasn't keen on letting the team do their thing so I gave them a sly tour when she was away one night but didn't give them any clues ;))

This was the most haunted area of the building, my office was to the left of these stairs in this picture, the same area the woman was supposed to have fallen down although I was told she didn't die because of the fall .. we also had a couple of business men on separate occasions refuse to stay any longer in room 10 and only found out why when the second bloke's boss phoned us up later asking if the room was haunted. I was told I was being followed around sometimes by a ghost woman who'd lived there during WW1, she'd been fond of a bell boy called Billy apparently so they reckoned she'd latched on to me. I saw a full vision shadow woman once and my mate once photographed a shadow perrson in the bar but erased the picture by accident ... he also saw a shadow person follow me up the stairs from the outside of the building once and was quite excitable about it.

red lion stairs.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    JamesWhitehead, PeteS, Coal and 2 others like this.
  9. Spookdaddy

Spookdaddy Cuckoo

But hauntings - or alleged hauntings - are now a pretty considerable selling point for pubs, theatres, stately homes, heritage venues of all kinds. These days the merest whiff of a spirit has selling potential - and, on a slow day, might even get you a mention in some of the tabloids. It's the UK - we like ghosts even more than we like arguing about Brexit.

10. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

My boss at the hotel thought the opposite, feeling it could put people off staying there. Three RAF radar technicians stayed with us for a few days, they had a hand held device that they used for finding heat spots, laser pointers, this thing also had night vision and all sorts of other cool applications so we went ghost hunting with it one night but sadly didn't find anything weird.

I did 5 weeks work there in the kitchen a few month back to cover staff holidays, the first time I'd worked there in ten or so years so gingerly asked around the staff if anyone had experienced anything ghostly .. no one had, the most I got was from an old fella working there who said he'd sometimes wondered but didn't elaborate ... I see him about occasionally, I'll have to remember to ask him again ..

PeteS likes this.
  11. maximus otter

But in none of the above places do the proprietors want punters to pay to live for a week.

To use a way-OTT example, l’d be fascinated (if that’s the right word) to visit Auschwitz. Would l want to reside there for a week? Nope.

maximus otter

Frideswide and PeteS like this.
  12. titch

It is the sort of place name where if you stopped at the local pub and asked directions to it, the locals would all go silent, apart from one wizened old man who would say "don't ye go there!! Don't ye go there" :omr:

13. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

Creases me when people (You suspect the 20 something TwitFace generation) stay in 200 year old hotels and then whine that it was "old fashioned".

Frideswide and titch like this.
  14. maximus otter

maximus otter

Ghost In The Machine and titch like this.
  15. Coal

Coal Gentleman, scholar, acrobat.

maximus otter likes this.
  16. maximus otter

Spooky! I researched that very clip...

maximus otter