Borley Rectory

Discussion in 'Ghosts: General' started by Anonymous, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

What if the spirits pick up on human's being present though? .. I reckon tech is an amazing addition to a haunted house vigil but humans get the strongest reactions ?..

2. INT21

INT21 Justified & Ancient

Then repeat the experiment with humans in the building. Compare the tapes afterward.

It is often said that things move about etc when no one is there. Why not put it to the test.

We have Gigabytes of memory for very little money these days and it should be no problem to set up. Also a very interesting experiment.

INT21

3. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Justified & Ancient

Just using sound lets the viewer's imagination run riot and by the end of the movie, you're so scared that you don't want to see what's haunting the place.

Swifty likes this.
  4. Swifty

The scenes where Elanor's being seduced by the house, because she's got no where else to go in life is perhaps one of the most haunting elements of the story; that she ultimately chooses to become a ghost herself instead of returning to her old unsatisfying life gets under my skin.

Yes the music played a huge part in that film as all the best horrors do, but there's that one shot when she's standing on a balcony, a small person in the shot filmed from a long way away and the cameraman decides to violently zoom in on her .. that made me jump big time ..

The camera work was fantastic ..

The film Waxwork 2 even did a homage to The Haunting featuring none other than Bruce Campbell ..

5. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Ephemeral Spectre

Yup, The Haunting is the best horror flick ever IMO.

Rabbit Will Run, Swifty and Bigphoot2 like this.
  6. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

The Haunting (the original version) is one to watch on your own and then go to bed, peeping over the covers at any little noise. Great film.

Bigphoot2 and Swifty like this.
  7. Swifty

It's so good, it's still not up for free view on Youtube yet after about 50 years .. seriously, anyone reading this who's never seen the original (not the Liam Neeson CGI remake fest) The Haunting ? .. don't watch it now .. watch it on your own and tonight .. with your heating switched off is the best way .. in the dark .. in the night ..

8. Bigphoot2

I bought the blu-ray recently, a great watch on a cold, dark night.

With modern movie sound technology, I'd like to see someone have the willingness to make a horror movie that relies solely on sound effects rather than over the top CGI cartoonery.

9. Swifty

Borley Rectory, Halloween Special 2013, a low budget production but contains a nice Borley Church anecdote .

.. and the essence of vomit/embalming fluid ghost of Borley Church ..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 4:02 PM
  10. Rabbit Will Run

Rabbit Will Run Junior Acolyte

As an aside, my partner and I recently acquired Revered Bull's (we assume the senior) church box from a local auction. Unbelievably we managed to win it as it was miscatalogued as being from Bornely Church, or some such misspelling. So it's currently sat in our living room, the most haunted box in England! Paperwork inside says it was discovered in the roof of the church during renovation. We were contacted by someone else who had a wood carving from the church/rectory and after we swapped photos they were clearly carved by the same hand. I'll try to add some photos later on if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM
  11. Swifty

Very interested in seeing loads of pictures of it! .. nice find, I'm envious, has it got his name written on it? :)

12. Rabbit Will Run

Yes, his name takes up most of the box! It's quite crudely carved, not very ornate. We only strolled in to browse the auction as it's at the bottom of our road, we couldn't believe our eyes when we saw the box! We've both been fascinated with Borley since we were kids, so we made sure to touch it just in case our bid wasn't successful - we were so sure another enthusiast would bid above our budget! I'll attach some photos. There are the only ones I have at the moment as I'm stuck at work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

titch, sherbetbizarre and Swifty like this.
  13. Swifty

Brilliant! .. thanks for showing those pics, I'm looking forward to seeing inside the box, the handle and what looks like a locking clasp (?) .. what a great thing to own :)

edit: do you think the person who showed you pictures of their Borley related carvings would mind you posting those pics here as well ?

14. Rabbit Will Run

I'll try to take some more pictures for you tonight @Swifty and I'll ask Mr Rabbit if he still has the photos, I don't recall him showing them to me! If I remember it was some kind of sign, but I might be mistaken.

Swifty likes this.
  15. Swifty

Thanks Rabbit Will Run.

16. Bigphoot2

This sounds like the opening of one of M.R. James' ghost stories :) Hope nothing nasty is unleashed.

I'd love to see some photos.

titch and Cochise like this.
  17. Rabbit Will Run

Ha! I'll admit to sleeping a little uneasily the first night it was in the house! I'll try to take some more detailed photos tonight.

Swifty likes this.
  18. Swifty

How big is it out of interest ? .. can I please ask you to put something like a coin in one of your photos next to it to get some scale ?

19. Swifty

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 9:31 PM