Bees

Discussion in 'Fortean News Stories' started by crunchy5, May 2, 2006.

1. Wreckless

Wreckless Phantom

A massive swarm of bees sent Padres and Rockies players ducking for cover

Bee swarms at spring training games have become an annual tradition at the Cactus League. It’s a weird thing that happens in Arizona around this time of year, but few bee swarms have been as intense as what we saw Thursday in Peoria, Ariz.

In the ninth inning of the Padres’ game with the Rockies, players and umpires had to take cover as a massive bee swarm emerged on the field. There were so many bees that it was clearly visible on the TV broadcast.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/massive-swarm-of-bees-padres-padres-spring-training

2. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Truro woman shocked to discover huge swarm of bees taking over her garden
    Picture Gallery: 7 photos.

A woman from Truro was shocked when she returned home to see thousands of bees swarming in her garden - for the second time.
    Kerry Spiller, 31, said she was scared and confused when she first found a huge swarm of bees flying outside her house in 2016.

She called a local beekeeper to come and collect them, as she did not want the bees destroyed, and thought that would be the end of the matter.
    But when Kerry returned to her home in Truro on Monday she was greeted by the all-to-familiar buzzing, as the huge swarm had returned.
    Video: 10s.

Kerry, a receptionist, said: "It's pretty terrifying, the first time it happened I thought the world was going to end.
    "This is what happens when the queen is on the move, all of the other bees follow her to protect her. This is the second time it's happened, it must mean the queen was moving around.

"I called the British Beekeepers Association in Cornwall so some one would come and collect them, rather than gassing them because that's what pest control would have done.
    "Bees are important, they're endangered so I didn't want them to be killed.
    "It was beautiful to watch, the bee keeper that came was able to capture the queen and put her in a bag, then all the others just followed her in there.
    "When he takes them back he just pours the bag into his hive, and they all make a home there.

"It was scary to see them all buzzing around like that, but they weren't interested in me. I'm sure they wouldn't have stung me, they just wanted to protect the queen."

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...of_bees_taking_over_her_garden/?ref=mrb&lp=4#

ramonmercado likes this.
  3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I'm thinking that this lady has a pure, unspoilt garden that hasn't had any pesticide or weedkiller applied to it. The bees are just going where they feel safe.

Spudrick68 and rynner2 like this.
  4. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I bet the neighbours call her Honey.

Ermintruder likes this.
  5. FelixAntonius

FelixAntonius Justified and Ancient

Bees, particularly swarming bees, tend to leave pheromones on the first temporary site on which they first settle, before finding a hopefully permanent home & this tends to persist & attract further swarms.

Twenty plus years ago, I can remember a bee keeper with about forty hives on one site, extremely rare even then, who had old ladders permanently positioned up certain trees into which he knew the bees would swarm.

Don't even ask about health & safety!!!!!!!!!

Mythopoeika likes this.
  6. rynner2

Thousands of bees swarm into car in Hull
    12 June 2017

[​IMG]

A swarm of up to 20,000 bees has taken over a car in Hull.
    Shirley Taylor said the bees took residence in her Nissan car parked outside her front door in Watt Street, on Sunday.

Chairman of the Beverley Beekeepers' Association, Chris Coulson, has been trying to lure the swarm out of the vehicle since.
    He said it was not clear what had attracted the bees to the vehicle and it could take a while to clear them.

Mrs Taylor said the bees had arrived on Sunday when she received a message from a neighbour warning her to be careful of her car when she got home.
    "I just went indoors and closed all the windows and the neighbours did as well," she said.

"It has been a bit of a hair-raising experience.
    "There were thousands all over the place and I have been stung and my daughter and granddaughter also got stung.
    "It is like Nightmare on Watt Street."

Mrs Taylor said: "I did ask 'why pick on my car?' but my husband, who is a bit of a joker, said it was because of all the Bee Gees CDs in the car."

Mr Coulson said bees usually swarm when their hives get too large and a colony breaks away to form a new one.
    However, he said he had never seen such a large swarm descend on a car before.
    "These cars have all kind of recesses and the bees seem to have gone into every one they could find.
    "We are trying to make them fly. In the box on top of the car we have young bees, some eggs and things like that and the bees in the car will hopefully try to cover those to make sure they don't die."
    He said he hoped they could remove the bees and find them a "more acceptable" new home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-40252990

7. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified and Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
    I was stuck in traffic this afternoon, on a lovely rural stretch of the A26 in the Ouse Valley, as I crawled past the turning for Tarring Neville the car was enveloped an swarm of honey bees!

Quickly wound the windows up, and shut the sunroof - only two of the blighters got in.

The cloud cleared as quickly as it arrived, so first chance I had I opened up again and let them out. I think they caught up with their chums.

rynner2 likes this.
  8. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

A large number of bees were killed and more than two dozen hives were destroyed by fire in separate attacks.

A farm in the village of Sellindge in Kent found 26 hives had been burnt out and others stolen.

It is an attack thought to be linked to the theft of two hives from another farm nearby.

PC Daniel Mills from Kent Police said: "This damage is not only cruel but detrimental to the beekeepers who will suffer a financial loss."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-40351718

9. min_bannister

min_bannister Justified and Ancient

What the hell?? Who does that?

10. hunck

hunck Justified and Ancient

Complete & utter bastards. If they're apprehended there should be a ceremonial burning of some of their treasured possessions.

11. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified and Ancient

And be made to replay the role of Candyman.

ramonmercado likes this.
  12. rynner2

23rd June
    Bees given a home at university after swarming onto campus
    Helen Dale Reporter

A swarm of bees which turned up on the Penryn university campus has been allowed to stay.
    The honeybees arrived at the University of Exeter’s campus at Tremough last week and, after causing a brief buzz, they were re-homed in a research apiary on site.

Swarming bees could cause chaos outside the average workplace, but the campus is a hive of world-renowned bee experts so Dr Pete Kennedy soon had things under control.
    “The swarm arrived outside the Environment and Sustainability Institute,” said Dr Kennedy said. “The bees were successfully removed and relocated to our research apiary on campus, where they are settling in to their new home.

“Swarming is a natural part of a honeybee colony's seasonal cycle, although it is typically managed by beekeepers to minimise disruption to the general public.
    “The origin of this swarm remains unknown, but it will help support our research efforts into bee behaviour and factors affecting their survival.”

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...sity_after_swarming_onto_campus/?ref=mrb&lp=8

13. rynner2

Coincidentally..?
    Swarm of bees goes missing during heatwave
    By WMNJBayley | Posted: June 23, 2017

A local beekeeper has appealed for help after his bee colony buzzed off because the weather was too hot.
    Barry Kirkman had just housed the swarm in a new hive in his garden only to see them fly off three days later, yet to be seen again, reports Cornwall Live.

The beekeeper feels the sizzling weather conditions may have made the colony he had in his Tamar Valley garden to swarm and move on to find better climes.
    The retired roofer, who has been beekeeping on and off for 30 years, said the heatwave, perhaps a lack of pollen or overcrowding, may have contributed to his bees looking for pastures new.

He said: "I doubt I'll see my bees again. When bees swarm they tend to find a temporary home in a tree for a few days or someone's garden before they are seen and people call in a beekeeper.
    "They've probably found a new home by now. But hopefully other bees will come along and find my hives interesting and decide to stay."

Mr Kirkman posted a call for help on Facebook after his bees flew off from his Calstock home earlier this week.
    The swarm was spotted flying in the direction of Albaston at the time.
    But Mr Kirkman believes the 20,000 homeless bees could now be anywhere.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/swa...ing-heatwave/story-30406541-detail/story.html

But Albaston is about 40 miles from Penryn - do bees swarm that far?

14. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Manufacturers of the pesticides funded the study but now they query the results.

The largest study so far on the fraught question of whether neonicotinoid pesticides harm bees is providing new ammunition for those who argue against the use of the controversial chemicals.

The large-scale field study found that overall, exposure to neonicotinoids harms bee populations. In particular, the pesticides reduce honeybees’ ability to survive their winter hibernation, say researchers.

“We’re showing significant negative effects at critical life-cycle stages, which is a cause for concern,” says Richard Pywell, who studies sustainable land management at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology near Wallingford, UK, and is co-author of a paper resulting from the experiment, published on 29 June in Science1.

However, the work was mainly funded by two major neonicotinoid makers, Bayer CropScience and Syngenta. They question the scientists’ conclusions and defend the pesticides, which are already banned or restricted in several countries. The researchers who did the work say they were totally independent. ...

http://www.nature.com/news/largest-ever-study-of-controversial-pesticides-finds-harm-to-bees-1.22229

15. hunck

hunck Justified and Ancient

40,00 Bees Stolen In Anglesey

16. FelixAntonius

FelixAntonius Justified and Ancient

Beenapping, it happens!!!!

If you want to take the risk, you don't need the full kit, just stuff the front opening with paper, grass or a piece of sponge, lug it off site & shove the hive into the back of your van &/or car, & just hope that it doesn't leak, (woodpecker holes or just cracks or chips) or sometimes sections separate, even though the bees tend to glue them together with propolis.

Mind you, as my dad said many years ago:- "You may look bloody stupid boy, driving in a full bee suit. But you'll look bloody worse if the hive cracks open".

I tended to transport bees with me dressed in a full bee suit, with the hood unzipped but ready to go, (although it can be awkward to pull it up in an enclosed space) & always had a few bees that got loose & tended to congregate on the back window, no need of the hood.

The only time I fully suited up in transit, was when I was returning some supers I'd extracted the night before & some local bees, (not mine), had got in through holes, (see above), to remove the residual honey. The back window of the van was totally covered by bees & I was driving on wing mirrors. No problem for me, but the driver behind was so mesmerised by the bees covering my back window, that when I signalled right & slowed down, he almost ran into my rear. I can still remember the squeal of brakes.

Happy days!!!!!!!