Bad Drivers

Discussion in 'Mainstream News Stories' started by rynner2, May 12, 2016.

1. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    We have other threads on bad driving, but they're usually just one-off stories.
    Cars 'forced to undertake woman spotted doing her makeup on major Plymouth road'
    By Herald_alexs | Posted: May 11, 2016

Reckless drivers have been told to pay attention to the road after a woman was spotted doing her makeup while moving at 70mph.
    The police have posted a series of Tweets over the last 24 hours to educate road users about the importance of careful driving.

Mark Freshwater, a policeman in Southway, Tamerton Foliot and Widewell posted: "Just seen a lady doing her eye makeup whilst driving at 70mph. Try getting up five minutes earlier and not risking other people's lives." :twisted:

He later explained that it was on the A38 during the morning rush hour, at around 8.30am, and that "cars had to undertake her to get past" as she was in the outside lane.
    "She couldn't see them because she'd moved her mirror and probably travelled about a mile while doing her makeup," said PC Freshwater. :eek:
    "I was off duty and didn't get her plate but it was one of the stupidest things I've seen on the road."

Devon and Cornwall Police earlier posted a warning to cannabis smokers after pulling over a "nice young lad" in Launceston.
    It read: "Guys and gals. Stop driving with cannabis in your body.
    "A nice young lad in Launceston [was] just stopped, tested and arrested. [He is] now facing a lengthy ban!"

They also said a driver was reported for driving a tractor while using his mobile phone in a "busy town".

Another driver was caught driving a lorry with 43 tonnes of scrap on the A30 [and using a phone]. The police reiterated the need to "scrap the phone" while on the road.

The flurry of Tweets are part of Operation Vortex, where police stalk a number of major roads near Plymouth in a bid to crackdown on poor driving.
    Here are some of the others:

DC ANPR Team ‎@DC_ANPR_Team
    Another driver thinking it's ok to hold their mobile in their hand whilst driving as long as it's on loudspeaker. How is that safe?#Despair
    3:23 PM - 11 May 201

DC ANPR Team ‎@DC_ANPR_Team
    Another driver using his mobile phone whilst driving. This one was a bit different. He wasn't making a call he was taking a photo. #ANPR
    12:30 PM - 11 May 2016

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Car...doing-makeup/story-29261774-detail/story.html

GerdaWordyer and ramonmercado like this.
  2. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

Umm, so she was driving at 70mph and other people were undertaking her ie. driving even faster? Looks like she was not the only reckless driver then. :rolleyes:

RaM, escargot, GerdaWordyer and 3 others like this.
  3. Shady

Shady WHOOOOOOO ARE YOU?

If you want to see crap driving go on youtube they have tons of dashcam vids of the idiots, its totally bewildering to see such stupidity.

Schrodinger's Zebra and escargot like this.
  4. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

For sheer bloody-mindedness this takes some beating..... from China:

An incredibly middle class row has ended up with two drivers boxing each others' luxury cars in for more than a year.

Pictures at link.

Schrodinger's Zebra likes this.
  5. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
  6. Peripart

Peripart Antediluvian

If you want to see it in real life, may I recommend the M42 at 7am or 5pm any weekday?

Schrodinger's Zebra and Shady like this.
  7. hunck

Crikey - this is a particularly revolting & macabre example. From California.

Woman crashes into a 69 year old with enough force to detach one of his legs which then goes over her car & smashes the rear window whilst the rest of him goes through the front windscreen & lodges in the passenger seat. She then drives home almost a mile with his body hanging out the windscreen.

She's been charged with driving under the influence, hit & run, & vehicular manslaughter.

8. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Horrific. Her boyfriend did the right thing and called the police.

9. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Is it just me, or have these stories of drivers driving on (usually home ... ) with pedestrian carnage still obviously carried in / on their cars arisen and proliferated within the last decade or so?

I'm familiar with stories of out-of-sight / unrecognized pedestrian bodies being unwittingly carried onward going back decades.

It's not until recently that I recall seeing stories where the driver motored on with some or all of a pedestrian clearly aboard (sometimes inside the passenger compartment via the windshield).

10. hunck

This fella's certainly got some bottle..
    Wheelchair 'street racer' in Barcelona baffles police

Vid at link. He doesn't hang about.

Schrodinger's Zebra and Swifty like this.
  11. hunck

In Derbyshire but inevitably soon to be nationwide:

Motorway drivers who go over 70mph limit WILL be fined

New speed cameras on the M1 smart motorway are permanently switched on

8382 x £60 minimum is just over ½ million quid. From 4 cameras.

12. Mythopoeika

Unfortunately, most people either don't check their speedos or their speedos aren't very accurate.
    People will slam on their brakes and accidents will happen (or the traffic will slow to a crawl).
    But they don't care about that.

13. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

I have no problem with people doing 128mph being arrested and fined or even more. But firstly the motorway speed limit should be higher - 80mph . Secondly you have to allow some leeway or people will be staring at their speedo instead of maintaining a good lookout - which is more than just watching te road ahead, it is being aware of what is going on around you as well.

Turning the hard shoulder in to another lane is a bad idea as well.

Incidentally 'undertaking' is legal in the US at least where I was living and it doesn't seem to cause any particular problems. But then in the US people know how to merge which is a lamentably scarce skill in the UK.

14. Mythopoeika

Yep.

15. gerhard1

gerhard1 Abominable Snowman

My late uncle would not get a cell-phone because 'every time I go the road, someone's got one of the things stuck in their ear'. Actually, the comment was much more profane than that. He was in his late eighties and he had a mentally-retarded son who was a few years older than me. He was also alone on my farm quite a bit and I suggested that one might be handy in an emergency. He refused, saying that if he died, he died. He also claimed that he couldn't hear using them which I seriously doubt as my hearing was much worse than his and could (and still can) use them without any problems whatsoever.

He was, and admitted it, a Luddite.

16. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

There already is considerable leeway:

"The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued revised speed enforcement policy guidance in 2013. It suggests that enforcement will normally occur when a driver exceeds the speed limit by a particular margin. The particular margin is normally 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2 mph."

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices

maximus otter

17. Peripart

Peripart Antediluvian

Those are sensible margins, as I'd say that the quality of individuals' driving in the UK varies by far more than 10%! Shoot me down if you wish, but I'd feel far safer being driven by a decent driver at, say, 46mph in a 40mph zone (as per tolerances above) than by the sort of inattentive cock-jockey that I see daily on my way to work doing 38.

Need I go on a rant about lane discipline, failure to indicate, jumping red lights, driving too close to the car in front... ? I hope not. But I do think that more than half of the "qualified" drivers on today's UK roads said to themselves, upon passing the test, "thank goodness I don't have to remember any of that any more!".

18. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Not at all. I've had a fair bit of experience in dealing with poor driving and its consequences.

I was taught how to drive from scratch when I joined the police, and our instructors used to tell us that "The public aren't taught how to drive, they're taught how to pass the test."

maximus otter

19. hunck

The cameras in the Derbyshire M1 story I'm assuming are average speed cameras as opposed to the fixed location ones more common where everyone slows down to 70 at the road markings then back to 90+ until the next one.

If maximus otter is correct, that'll mean doing no more than 79mph for the entire stretch. That's why they've caught the most speeders & raised the most money in the county last year.

It wouldn't particularly bother me - I'm OK with trundling along at 70-75, but I'm one of the slowest on the motorway at this speed. May well reduce accidents as well if drivers don't constantly slow down then speed up for the cameras but that remains to be seen.

20. Dr_Baltar

Dr_Baltar Left Foot of God

From the article posted earlier:

The stretch currently has a mixture of average speed checks and normal cameras. The normal cameras police the reduced speed limits that apply in some conditions, as indicated by the overhead signs, but the Derby Telegraph revealed earlier this month that they also operate when there is no reduced limit.

21. Dr_Baltar

It's like taking candy from particularly idiotic babies.

22. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

Perhaps everyone ought to ride a motorbike for a couple of years. Problem is, young blokes usually have too much testosterone and get themselves killed. (I was lucky). But riding a bike certainly teaches you awareness if you survive long enough for the impulse to show off in inappropriate places to die down

Krepostnoi and Peripart like this.
  23. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Dashcam footage shows moment a Bentley Continental GT smashes head on into pensioner's car

24. Dr_Baltar

Not anymore it doesn't. Video has been removed by the user just this minute.

25. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Bugger .. and the video's probably part of an insurance claim (although the date has it at 2014).

26. TheLeeds

TheLeeds 8 Pints at Dinner Time

Encountered this twunt the other evening on the A27.

27. Dr_Baltar

28. Cavynaut

Cavynaut Justified & Ancient

As a non-driver, but committed pedestrian, I am constantly surprised at the number of motorists who don't bother to indicate when leaving a roundabout. Must be around 30% of drivers around where I live. Is it a sort of machismo thing or something? Indicators are for wimps? Or is it maybe "I'm that important you bastards should know where I'm going without me having to warn you".

Schrodinger's Zebra and Swifty like this.
  29. Dr_Baltar

I'm also noticing a rise in the number of drivers doing the same when turning left at traffic lights.

30. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Indicating at the double island at the bottom of the street I live in also seems to be optional. The two worst occasions were one bloke who thought it would be funny to overtake me then hard bank into a left turn almost causing me to fall off my bike (complete with him looking back at me and laughing .. the prick) and another younger bloke with his car full of chav mates deliberately pulling out in front of me at the exact same spot resulting in me waving him down a calling him out of his car. Fortunately for me, it didn't end up in fisticuffs because he looked like a body builder when he got out of the car .. then we were nearly nose to nose: I said "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT!? .. MY FAMILY WOULD HAVE BEEN DEVASTATED , YOUR FAMILY WOULD HAVE BEEN DEVASTATED .." .. I've seen him a couple of times since and he just grins at me. I wouldn't have won that fight. :oops:

Schrodinger's Zebra and Peripart like this.