Arthur Mandelko Jr.

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by Saucerian, May 24, 2018.

1. Saucerian

Saucerian Better not touch the hull pal, it's still hot.

Did a search on the ForteanTimes board and came up with no results for Arthur Mandelko Jr, the Hollywood Superman who froze himself to death in 1970.

While he might largely be forgotten today, I do remember that a few years back a woman had dedicated a film she had made, or was it a book? to Arthru Mandaelko Jr. and possibly some others in addition.

Also, there was at least one film made of a story similar to that of Mr. Mandelko, about a lonely man who froze himself to death.

I'm going to do a Google search and see if I can come up with anything.

Mr. Mandelko's suicide made newspaper headlines at about the same time as that of the Bunny Man.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

Now that I'd pay money to see.

3. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ... Staff Member

Do you have any additional factoids on this case? Are you absolutely certain about the name?

4. Saucerian

skinny, thanks for pointing out the tyop error, which I have now corrected.

Typo errors can be so much fun that it often grieves me to correct them, but in this case it was necessary.

Glad you and I and anybody else had some fun with the typo error "frooze" although there is nothing funny
    about a person freezing to death.

5. Saucerian

EnolaGaia, I am not absolutely certain on the spelling of the name, and in the past I have mis-spelled it, which has caused me some problems doing net searches.

I am not certain now if I have the original newspaper clipping, likely from the Charlotte, North Carolina Observer, from the fall of 1970.

I might today have only a note on the date and source rather than the newspaper story itself.

The headline read: "Hollywood Superman Freezes Self To Death." When I first saw it, I was confused, because I knew that George Reeves, who played Superman on TV was reported to have shot himself to death.

So, I read the story and found out this was not the TV actor but a man who was described as "one of Hollywood's odddest."

He was said to have subsisted on a diet of Cutty Sark Scotch, and Hostess Twinkies. He was concerned about crime, and had a robot equipped with "elaborate electronic devices, none of which worked," to sniff out illegal drugs (or, was it a dog, and and / or a robot? Can't quote accurately, until I have the text of the original report.

Arthur then started wearing a Superman costume in his fight against crime, and disturbed his neighbors by jumping onto the roof tops of their houses.

When he disappeared, and got behind in his rent, the landlord of his apartment went to clean it out, and was able to get the refrigerator door open only far enough to see that it had a rope tied to it. After cutting the rope, the landlord found the frozen body of Arthur, holding the rope.

I think the story was from a wire service, probably AP or UPI. I would think it would be easy to find on a Google or other newspaper archive search, although the spelling of the name could present a problem.

If I find any more in my own records, or through net searches, I'll post it here.

David Plankton and ramonmercado like this.
  6. EnolaGaia

Thanks for the additional data. As of this morning there was no trace of any 'Arthur Mendalko' to be found except for your original post above. The similar name 'Mendalka' also yielded zero hits.

The label 'Hollywood Superman' has been applied to LA-area eccentrics as well as street impersonators who hang out around celebrities' Walk of Fame memorials.

I can find a ton of references to one or more such 'Hollywood Supermen' from recent decades, but nothing about anyone under this label who died in 1970.

I don't think can be any progress on this until you come up with the actual name ...

7. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Sounds a lot like he was hiding inside the fridge and got stuck. Hiding from the landlord, perhaps?

8. Saucerian

Thanks for your searching Enola Gaia. I'm sure that when the time is right I'll get the right spelling of Arthur's last name, and the exact dates of the newspaper reports. When a person has a large data base like I do, it takes time to find things that were saved from years ago, but they eventually do turn up.

9. Saucerian

OK, here is one of the results of a net search I did. Anyone on the board a member of Newspaper Archive]?

Tucson Daily Citizen from Tucson, Arizona on October 1, 1970 · Page 59
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/24157337/
    Oct 1, 1970 - Thursday, October 1, 1970 E N THURSDAY, OCTOBER I, 1970 J. ... LIFE OF FANTASY ENDS 'Superman' Freezes In His Refrigerator HOLLYWOOD (AP) -- Arthur VV. ... Police detectives William Mereier and Terry Pierce said Mandelko ... 24-year-old man committed suicide, the coroner said yesterday.
    [PDF]

ramonmercado likes this.
  10. EnolaGaia

Here's the full text from the Tucson story of October 1, 1970:

The text is somewhat butchered because it was captured via OCR, but this passage is more coherent that most of the OCR stuff salvaged from newspapers.com.

His name would have been "Arthur W. Mandelko". The 'VV' is a common OCR substitution for a 'W'.

11. EnolaGaia

One interesting follow-up to this quite bizarre story ...

On October 28, 1970 - circa 4 weeks after Mandelko's body was discovered - this item appeared in the Personal section of the Stanford Daily (Stanford University campus newspaper) on page 6.

(I've tweaked the snapshot and added highlighting.)

Mandelko-StanfordAd-701028-B.jpg
    I'm confident this was a prank. 'Person X is alive and well ...' was a common joke / gag motif (what we'd now call a meme) during that era.

SOURCE: https://stanforddailyarchive.com/cg...028-01.1.6&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

David Plankton likes this.
  12. EnolaGaia

Another posthumous reference to Mandelko ...

He apparently serves as a character in this early 1970's novel (which the source webpage reviews as being terrible) ...

SOURCE: http://www.trashfiction.co.uk/alpha_experience.html

13. EnolaGaia

As it turns out, a personal ad with the same motif appeared in the Stanford Daily on at least 2 more occasions preceding the one I cited above. The only differences were the names given for the person(s) with whom Mandelko was allegedly living. One said 'Honey X', and another said 'Honey and Omar'.

14. Andy X

Andy X Portent

What an intriguing tale - surely the discrepancies can be explained by the 'Mandelko Effect', ho ho!

15. Saucerian

EnolaGaia, thanks for all your work in tracking down the references. Sorry I don't still have the film catalog of the dramatization of an Arthur like charactter freezing himself to death.

The catalog was one of what would probably be called "religious" films. Was the film company Insight films?

I had more than one catalog for films of this type, and David Cassidy was in one of the films listed.

I suppose that more net searches might turn up the title of the film, and some details.

It was a 16mm film probably made for showing at church groups, in the mid 1970s.

From the description, it seemed obvious that the film was based on the story of Arthur.

16. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Was it suicide, though? Seems to be the oddest way to deliberately kill oneself. I think it sounds like a dreadful accident.

17. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

We did have a mention of this in the "real superheroes" thread

David Plankton and EnolaGaia like this.
  18. Saucerian

MrRing, many thanks for the link on the "real superheroes" thread and the post on The Hollywood Superman.

I would really like to see the film dramatization based on Arthur's life and suicide, and do plan to do some net searches to see if I can find the title of the film, and whether it might still be available for viewing.

19. EnolaGaia

Mandelko somehow attached a rope to the interior side of the refrigerator door and used it to ensure the door was effectively 'locked' to any outsider.

The most specific description I saw indicated he was holding the rope tightly in his hands. At least one other description gave me the impression the rope had been tied off / to something inside the refrigerator.

I don't see how it could have been an accident.