Angry woman on Shortwave Radio (early 1980's)

Discussion in 'It Happened to Me!' started by Itsmeee, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Vardoger

Vardoger Skeptical by nature

Possibly someone calling from a boat radio to a telephone station on land which transmits the conversation to a land phone.

Ermintruder likes this.
  2. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

As @Vardoger says, if you were listening on 'shortwave' (ie High Frequency radio transmssions between 3 and 30MHz) you may have heard one half of a phone-patch call made using the legacy maritime or aeronautical channels that specifically are/were intended to convey this content. More rarely, this can be heard still via maritime VHF as well.

Alternatively, in the days before DECT (or similar) digital cordless telephones (most of which are now compliant with international standards) it was possible to buy completely-illegal (but effective) analogue cordless phones that ran at around 30-50MHz low VHF.

This would present lovely second/third harmonic transmissions within the FM broadcast band, which you could've easily heard in the 1980s on a domestic radio.

Similarly, early prehistoric carphones were analogue and much-lower frequencies than now (cf the 'Squidgygate' scandal) transmissions from many of which would happily-overpower a locally-adjacent analogue radio receiver's front end or intermediate frequency detector stages (ie involuntary reception by you of a close-by user).

The whole world could be an inadvertant snooper, as a result....all heard in the clear, not a shread of incryption.

The thread OP's first comments about the 'ranting radio' entity certainly sound familiar- I shall check-out the old YouTube link. Those of us that were radio-active, on the original "net"...we heard some very strange things. And sometimes still do.

Cherrybomb likes this.
  3. heisenbear

heisenbear Phantom

When I was a kid, I clearly remember hearing police transmissions on a MW/FM radio cassette my parents bought as a Christmas present for me in the mid eighties. My Bearcat scanner recently picked up what I assumed to be either a baby monitor or a spy bug and overheard an absolutely blistering row between a couple in the middle of a messy divorce. It made a change from the usual taxi drivers, shop security, warehouse staff and foul-mouthed CB users I usually get.

4. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

This was when the UK Police and Fire Services were still transmitting AM on the 100MHz Band2 FM broadcast band, so yes, quite possibly. Utter insanity.

They moved firstly to 155MHz analogue FM, then to current digital TeTRa.

No it didn't. You just think it did. In your imagination.

This was not an unauthorised interception of an electronic communication for whom you were not the intended recipient, and was not an intentional or incidental action in breach of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act.

Make the most of your Bearcat. In less than a decade, the vast majority of business etc users will have gone dPMR/Mototrbo, digitally-dodging 80s-era scanner-hackers.