Alien Abductions

Discussion in 'Ufology' started by silvercoin, Aug 2, 2006.

Have you been abducted by aliens

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. I wish

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    So that's why the aliens come to this planet. For benefits! :p

kamalktk likes this.
  2. sunsplash

sunsplash Junior Acolyte

I hope that Mr Trump fellow knows about all these alien-hybrid-americans. Perhaps he could build another wall...

3. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

He hasn't built the first one yet.

4. sunsplash

sunsplash Junior Acolyte

Yes but he thinks he has...

5. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Oh, crap ... That means they've already gotten to him - if that's really him at all! :eek:

6. AgProv

AgProv Master of Uncertainty and Doubt

The only possible answer to a poll on the Fortean Times website asking "Have you been abducted by aliens?" is "Maybe".

OK, you should know for certain if you have been - on first glance this sort of thing would be hard to be indefinite or uncertain about. But when you go deeper it's a different story. I'll come back later with my own tedious and at-length accounts, such as they are.

7. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I guess the tell-tale signs on waking up might be:
    Mysterious abrasions, scars or contusions.
    Sore bum.
    Weird flashbacks.
    Missing time.

In short, what might happen to someone after they'd been out on a bender at the weekend.

Nils Meijer and AgProv like this.
  8. AgProv

Heh!

i had the "missing time" one around 1993 when living in rural Norfolk. I got off the bus in the town of North Walsham (well... village) aware I had an hour or so's walk in the dark to get to the hamlet where my then girlfriend lived. I set about the walk along a long boring country road in the dark - it wasn't even a scenic part of Norfolk - and all of a sudden realised I was practically there. But I had no memory at all of forty-five minutes' walk. Maybe it was the dark and quiet and monotony of a February night. I'd gone into a Zen state and let my body get on with it. Or something. No flashbacks or memories of being abducted by little grey buggers and I'd be surprised if there were. But it's the "white blackbird" thing again - just because practically every blackbird is indeed black doesn't rule out that there's one out there which is white. Or something.

Mythopoeika likes this.
  9. AgProv

Anyway. As I said the only possible answer to tick here is "maybe" - in the sense of "Nowhere near conclusive enough to be a "yes" but there's just enough substance there for my not to want to be able to tick "no". And I'm aware any number of potential explanations exist, and a lot of them are a damn sight more convincing than "abduction by aliens". But when dealing with insufficient data, you have to consider EVERY explanation."

To begin with: all my alien abduction scenarios happened during dreams. Therefore can be dismissed as the ramblings of my subconscious mind, unfettered by ego. (Then you have to ask - why express my subconscious mind in THIS form? What's going on there, then?)

So on one level I'm prepared (and perfectly happy!) to accept my physical body never left my bed on those nights, and this was all nice nocturnal theatre generated somewhere inside my head.

On the other hand - I'm incliined to the thought that every so often a dream is more than just a dream. Not all that often and fairly rare - but call it what you will, telepathy, the Jungian Collective Mind, going for an amble on the Astral Plane - there is more of a "reality" and less subjectivity than might be expected from the usual nocturnal theatre of the mind. I've posted elsewhere on odd and remarkable dreams (the one where I appeared to slip back down my own and my family's timeline and came out in a recognisable 1974, for instance.)

The dreams I've had that suggest a theme of "alien abduction" belong in this box - stronger, realler, longer, more internally consistent, and telling a solid story. And again - "Alien abduction" is a handy label describing what appears to be happening and may indeed be happening on the surface of things. The "reality", if any, might well be different and be down to something else entirely.