Aleister Crowley

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by caroleaswas, Feb 20, 2002.

1. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified and Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    Stuart Maconie's Freakier Zone, Music and the Occult (BBC Radio 6).

Original broadcast date:
    Sun 7 Dec 2014 00:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tlqhg

Andy_X, escargot1 and Coastaljames like this.
  2. graylien

graylien Justified and Ancient

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.co.uk/
    Speaking of Sigil Magic here's an interesting read I happened across:

The Truth about Pepe the frog and the Cult of Kek

It involves a cartoon frog, an ancient Egyptian deity, synchonicities galore, and the possibility that 4Chan members inadvertently created a hypersigil that propelled Trump into power.

Andy_X, mr_nic, uair01 and 2 others like this.
  3. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified and Ancient

Positively bonkers brilliance. Thanks for sharing!

Frideswide likes this.
  4. uair01

uair01 Justified and Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    Thanks - this sounds like Pynchon territory:

On sidewalks and walls the very first printed slogans start to show up, the first Central Asian fuck you signs, the first kill-the-police-commissioner signs (and somebody does! this alphabet is really something!) and so the magic that the shamans, out in the wind, have always known, begins to operate now in a political way, and Dzaqyp Qulan hears the ghost of his own lynched father with a scratchy pen in the night, practicing As and Bs . . . .

Andy_X, Frideswide and Ulalume like this.
  5. skinny

skinny ____Dál gCais___

RA Wilson's take on AC.

Andy_X, Frideswide, mr_nic and 3 others like this.
  6. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Размышляю над бессмертием краба

This is plain odd: Cossack magick pracktitioners erected a monument to Aleister Crowley, then set it aflame. They claim him as the guardian angel of the Kuban region (more or less the current day Krasnodar territory, but harking back to when it was Cossack land), since apparently the number 93 of Krasnodar territory's position in the list of Russian subjects (roughly equivalent to counties) was also significant in Crowley's belief system. Most modern-day Kuban Cossacks, though, are much more likely to profess allegiance to the Orthodox Church, and I suspect they would not take kindly to this group. But before you get too warmly disposed towards them, that article concludes by reporting another of their magickal rituals: encircling Cossack monuments with salt, "to protect them from Gays, terrorists, Banderovtsy (ww2-era Ukrainian separatists with Nazi links - a dig at modern day Ukrainians who object to the Russian occupation) and Turks" :eek:

Andy_X, Ulalume and Frideswide like this.
  7. Coastaljames

Interesting stuff- thank you. I have long been interested in the strain of black magic practiced by far-right, ultra-nationalist Eastern European groups and organisations.

8. Frideswide

Frideswide Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)

I have long been ignorant of this :oops: Do you have recommendations?

9. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified and Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    http://www.shropshirestar.com/enter...could-raise-1000-for-shrewsbury-charity-shop/

10. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

A dealer has a copy of the first edition, asking-price £1,750 on ABE books. The print run is claimed there to have been 500 not 200. Formats, paper and bindings and inscriptions were often varied for these author-subsidized curios. Prices will vary accordingly.

Oxfam could surely have at least discovered that the work was a drama, albeit unproduced.

It is dicussed here.

Crowliana does make dealers' mouths water but collectors with deep pockets are much fewer than they fondly imagine. :rolleyes:

escargot1 and Frideswide like this.
  11. Dr. Porhoët

Dr. Porhoët Yeti

Speaking of lucky Crowley finds, I picked up a copy of the Book of Lies at a library book sale a few months ago for 75 cents.

I read through it last week. Couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

Coastaljames likes this.
  12. Coastaljames

Great find- well done.

And don't worry - Crowley went to great lengths to make his work unreadable filling it with nonsense, disinformation, private jokes and phony esoteric mumbo-jumbo. Hence - Book of Lies.

Dr. Porhoët and escargot1 like this.
  13. Dr. Porhoët

Dr. Porhoët Yeti

Yeah. Does anyone on this board think they've managed to filter out the nonsense and find enlightenment through Crowley's work?

He was a fascinating character, and while I've read plenty of very interesting things about him, most of the stuff that I've read by him has been utter hogwash.

escargot1 likes this.
  14. Coastaljames

You have to put the hours in - and even he couldn't be bothered. Hence he never finished the Abremilin Sequence at Boleskine.

As I said - his work is deliberately incomprehensible. It was largely written as a joke. With tiny, tiny little diamonds entrenched deep to those with the background to be able to dig them out.

More inspiring, for me, is his life, his bravery and his groundbreaking ideas concerning consciousness-expansion and the power of will.

15. escargot1

escargot1 Justified and Ancient

It's not just'im. When sociology was the big new thing, it was written up in deliberately obfuscatory styles to make it sound complex and important. Using huge obscure words where simple ones would do was way of showing how intellectual you were, Dude. (It was usually dudes.) Pretentious and pathetic.

16. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Thats why I hate sociologists; along with farmers, teachers etc.

17. Coastaljames

I appreciate your point. But not sure that was what Crowley was doing. What a lot of people don't understand is that he considered himself a trickster and a joker. He was also a stubborn git - his Mother labelled him a "beast" so he did everything he could to become a beast. His critics labelled him a fraud so he did everything he could to become a fraud.

18. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

Still is like that. I've criticised social psychology stuff for that very point (without success of course). Even worse is some 'critical social psychology' which, in the guise of challenging assumptions (like any proper science) introduce even more new words and frankly a whole load of guff that just makes it worse.

It doesn't take much of anything good to put together ideas and hypotheses which either can't be verified, repeated or worse, won't be in case they turn out to be bunk.