Aleister Crowley

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by caroleaswas, Feb 20, 2002.

1. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified & Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    MODS can we please have someone clean up this thread, it's supposed to be a thread designated to intelligent discussion about AC and θέλημα. It's turning into a a bit of a joke now. Any MODS available?

2. Yithian

Yithian Incredulous Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Yes, there are.

Elsupremo, would you mind starting a separate thread to discuss your varied anecdotes. Once you've done that, I shall move your posts on this thread that don't concern A.C. to that thread.

Most grateful.

3. FrKadash

Back to demonstrations of magickal ability, I believe the sort of demonstrations people are looking for are in the zone of externalised manifestations of Qi, or inner energy. The testing footage of Nina Kulagina is some of the best footage of genuine (in my opinion) psychickal demonstrations of externalised Qi.

The narrator of the video mentions how Kulagina would become sick after her demonstrations, her legs and arms hurt, she couldn't speak or see for some time after the testing and she describes an energy at the base of her spine traveling upwards... (Kundalini anyone?) This reminds me of the account I posted about earlier where my friend was sick after a (organic) demonstration. The footage in the post below is also excellent.

Coastaljames likes this.
  4. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified & Ancient

Not without critics though. Personally it's impossible for me to believe either way.

5. graylien

graylien Justified & Ancient

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.co.uk/
    I've been trying to get my head round Nietzsche recently. I'm intrigued by possible parallels between his concepts of self overcoming, the Will to Power, and the Overman with magickal belief systems originating in the early 20th C and the self development system of Gurdjieff.

The trouble I have with both philosophy and magick is they tend towards abstruse terminology that can only be understood by 'insiders' initiated into a hierarchical system. I'm not a joiner and I distrust jargon.

Of course it didn't end well for Nietzche. Apparently shortly before his collapse into catatonia his landlady peeped through the keyhole to find him dancing around his lodgings naked and pounding the piano with his fists. Almost as if in parody of the Dionysian rites that he explored in his early writing.

I'll follow up those links on Sigil magick posted earlier and see how I get on.

FrKadash and Coastaljames like this.
  6. Coastaljames

Try Chaos Magic mate...make it up as you go along ;) And I'm much the same- I'm not a joiner and not one to bow down to someone's self-appointed grandeur.

graylien likes this.
  7. FrKadash

Avoid the IOT though, (The Illuminates of Thanateros), a close friend of mine was a member for 7 years and left because of how they were going down hill drastically in a disturbing way. The decline was predominantly due to internal obsession with sex and drugs and there was a lot of pedophilia going on, and this pedophilia was being conducted by the highest degree fat cats, from what I've been told by other ex-members the IOT is something to avoid at all costs as a lot of nasty things are still going on in their manor.

But Chaos Magick itself is a good system, I practiced it myself years ago and it influenced me quite a bit, and definitely was instrumental in the development of my later magickal work.

All magick is essentially self-initiatory, it has to be done by yourself, the individual has to do the work themselves to develop and your daily practice is always a highly personalised routine.

Coastaljames likes this.
  8. FrKadash

What did you reckon on the Lawrence Blair, Ph.D documentary footage of the Qigong master's demonstrations of externalising Qi?

I've always thought Qi explains why my hands have the hotness and healing effect they do, like I posted about earlier when a family member or especially my wife or sister has pain or has injured themselves in some way I place my hands on them and they always say why are they so hot? And after a few minutes the pain is gone. The example of my father having a stroke and falling is a stronger one, and that was when I discovered it. I just automatically placed my hands on his forehead and he opened his eyes and after about five minutes stood up and came back in the house and was fine, but I could hear him from the other room talking to my mother, he said something like ''our boys hands were so hot...etc''.

chicorea likes this.
  9. Coastaljames

Hear, hear. Well put and I'd agree totally. "Do what thou wilt..." The key word is thou. It's your trip...and as RAW said, "Reality is what you can get away with."

I'm really not sure. There could be some auto-suggestion going on in much of it. There could be some good old-fashioned parlour trickery going on in other parts. I don't know. It's impossible for me to reach a judgement without first hand experience of something. And even then...

FrKadash likes this.
  10. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain All things serve the beam

I realise I'm a bit late here but I would like to offer a comment. I think I've posted this before, but on one occasion a new acquaintance, without warning grabbed my head and cured a headache. Now I'm sure most people would say suggestion or placebo effect but no, it wasn't, the thing was the heat in his hands and my head and there was not time to ponder anything other than "Whoah fella what the hell......."
    Together with things that happened in my childhood it opened my mind which would seem, given the analytical nature of what I do now for a living, unusual.

I have on many occasions glibly given a reason of "we live in a (slightly faulty) simulation when some posters aggressively assert some viewpoint as it can be used to counter pretty much any argument regarding ghosts, UFOs, time slips etc. It's really a contrarian reaction to their unsupported statements - cobblers plus cobblers equals nothing! But lately I've become more than a little suspicious that the argument has some merit. Not that we are some electronic bugs in a Petri dish, but rather there is something else at play and that what we think of as solid and linear reality isn't.

Try checking out a Reddit thread on glitches in the matrix. Yes there's a few BS merchants but I think they are easy to spot, there is an overwhelming number of everyday people with observations impossible to reconcile with a universe as ordered as we are supposed to believe. Is magick, as a manipulation of of a hidden substrate to our existence any less believable than anything else?

And I have to wonder what tests would be acceptable. Yes levitation would be obvious but what about cases of healing? I'm pretty sure anything less than regeneration of a limb would be written off of some psychosomatic interaction.

11. FrKadash

Stuart Maconie's Freakier Zone, Music and the Occult (BBC Radio 6).

Original broadcast date:
    Sun 7 Dec 2014 00:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tlqhg

Andy X, escargot and Coastaljames like this.
  12. graylien

graylien Justified & Ancient

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.co.uk/
    Speaking of Sigil Magic here's an interesting read I happened across:

The Truth about Pepe the frog and the Cult of Kek

It involves a cartoon frog, an ancient Egyptian deity, synchonicities galore, and the possibility that 4Chan members inadvertently created a hypersigil that propelled Trump into power.

Andy X, mr_nic, uair01 and 2 others like this.
  13. Coastaljames

Positively bonkers brilliance. Thanks for sharing!

Frideswide likes this.
  14. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    Thanks - this sounds like Pynchon territory:

On sidewalks and walls the very first printed slogans start to show up, the first Central Asian fuck you signs, the first kill-the-police-commissioner signs (and somebody does! this alphabet is really something!) and so the magic that the shamans, out in the wind, have always known, begins to operate now in a political way, and Dzaqyp Qulan hears the ghost of his own lynched father with a scratchy pen in the night, practicing As and Bs . . . .

Andy X, Frideswide and Ulalume like this.
  15. skinny

skinny ____Noble Gas___

RA Wilson's take on AC.

16. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Hoarse Bronzeman

This is plain odd: Cossack magick pracktitioners erected a monument to Aleister Crowley, then set it aflame. They claim him as the guardian angel of the Kuban region (more or less the current day Krasnodar territory, but harking back to when it was Cossack land), since apparently the number 93 of Krasnodar territory's position in the list of Russian subjects (roughly equivalent to counties) was also significant in Crowley's belief system. Most modern-day Kuban Cossacks, though, are much more likely to profess allegiance to the Orthodox Church, and I suspect they would not take kindly to this group. But before you get too warmly disposed towards them, that article concludes by reporting another of their magickal rituals: encircling Cossack monuments with salt, "to protect them from Gays, terrorists, Banderovtsy (ww2-era Ukrainian separatists with Nazi links - a dig at modern day Ukrainians who object to the Russian occupation) and Turks" :eek:

17. Coastaljames

Interesting stuff- thank you. I have long been interested in the strain of black magic practiced by far-right, ultra-nationalist Eastern European groups and organisations.

18. Frideswide

Frideswide Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)

I have long been ignorant of this :oops: Do you have recommendations?

19. FrKadash

http://www.shropshirestar.com/enter...could-raise-1000-for-shrewsbury-charity-shop/

20. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

A dealer has a copy of the first edition, asking-price £1,750 on ABE books. The print run is claimed there to have been 500 not 200. Formats, paper and bindings and inscriptions were often varied for these author-subsidized curios. Prices will vary accordingly.

Oxfam could surely have at least discovered that the work was a drama, albeit unproduced.

It is dicussed here.

Crowliana does make dealers' mouths water but collectors with deep pockets are much fewer than they fondly imagine. :rolleyes:

escargot and Frideswide like this.
  21. Dr. Porhoët

Dr. Porhoët Devoted Cultist

Speaking of lucky Crowley finds, I picked up a copy of the Book of Lies at a library book sale a few months ago for 75 cents.

I read through it last week. Couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

Coastaljames likes this.
  22. Coastaljames

Great find- well done.

And don't worry - Crowley went to great lengths to make his work unreadable filling it with nonsense, disinformation, private jokes and phony esoteric mumbo-jumbo. Hence - Book of Lies.

Dr. Porhoët and escargot like this.
  23. Dr. Porhoët

Yeah. Does anyone on this board think they've managed to filter out the nonsense and find enlightenment through Crowley's work?

He was a fascinating character, and while I've read plenty of very interesting things about him, most of the stuff that I've read by him has been utter hogwash.

escargot likes this.
  24. Coastaljames

You have to put the hours in - and even he couldn't be bothered. Hence he never finished the Abremilin Sequence at Boleskine.

As I said - his work is deliberately incomprehensible. It was largely written as a joke. With tiny, tiny little diamonds entrenched deep to those with the background to be able to dig them out.

More inspiring, for me, is his life, his bravery and his groundbreaking ideas concerning consciousness-expansion and the power of will.

25. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

It's not just'im. When sociology was the big new thing, it was written up in deliberately obfuscatory styles to make it sound complex and important. Using huge obscure words where simple ones would do was way of showing how intellectual you were, Dude. (It was usually dudes.) Pretentious and pathetic.

26. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Thats why I hate sociologists; along with farmers, teachers etc.

27. Coastaljames

I appreciate your point. But not sure that was what Crowley was doing. What a lot of people don't understand is that he considered himself a trickster and a joker. He was also a stubborn git - his Mother labelled him a "beast" so he did everything he could to become a beast. His critics labelled him a fraud so he did everything he could to become a fraud.

28. Coal

Coal Polymath Renaissance Man

Still is like that. I've criticised social psychology stuff for that very point (without success of course). Even worse is some 'critical social psychology' which, in the guise of challenging assumptions (like any proper science) introduce even more new words and frankly a whole load of guff that just makes it worse.

It doesn't take much of anything good to put together ideas and hypotheses which either can't be verified, repeated or worse, won't be in case they turn out to be bunk.

29. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Ephemeral Spectre

Source: http://dangerousminds.net/

30. Dr. Porhoët

Posting this here in hopes it will be of interest to some of you. I just interviewed Sandy Robertson, author of the Aleister Crowley Scrapbook, on my blog. Sandy Robertson is also the guy who gave Montague Summers' grave a headstone and the individual who introduced Genesis P-Orridge to Frank Zappa.